ok, i just really wanna know something. my band director told me about as he put it, "An old drum corps wives tale" about how in 1991 (the year they won) Star of Indiana played so loud when they were warming up, that they put a crack in a window by where they were warming up. can anyone bring this to truth for me? thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard the same thing about a Spirit hornline in the 80s.....I think it's an urban legend, though eyewitness accounts and/or pictures proving me wrong are quite welcome--it'd be pretty freakin cool.

This is completely true. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I think they were playing so loud that the window vibrated, shifting if off the protective rubber stuff in the frame. During the shifting I guess it hit metal and cracked. It's not lke the window crashed into teh building or anything, but the crack was plain as day.

Cameras were not as plentiful as they are today, and film was even more scarce.

If you have a chance, check out the last minute of their show. It's a whopper of a drill move - maybe the best ever.

Cameras were not as plentiful as they are today, and film was even more scarce.

We're not talking about the Stone Age here.

We didn't have digital cameras yet, but film cameras were EXTREMELY common. Film could be bought at any supermarket, grocery store or convenience market.

What we didn't have all the way back in 1991 was medicine, laundry soap, air conditioning and radios that could play the newfangled rock 'n' roll music that the Beatles had just brought over from the Motherland.

Mike (suddenly feeling VERY old)

I'd say we rarely 'opened up' at warm ups...I wasn't there in '91 but I'm pretty confident that warm up rituals were the same.

I can remember folks from the Devs sneaking over to hear us during warm up and they would just have this what the f&*# look on their faces as we did air for about 15 minutes.