With All The New Things DCI is Doing....

With all the new things that DCI is doing nowadys, how about if a corps came out

and played a concert number?

You know the old saying "What's Old Is New Again"

Or better yet.. What if a current top 12 corps came out and did an old style show,

you know opener, drum solo, into concert, concert, color present and closer.

Something new?? or just suicide??

Give me you opinion, it's just a discussion piece. Nobody that I know is doing it

so don't think I trying to put feelers out to get you reaction.

Discuss it amongst youselves. :huh::bleah:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that Cadets are doing pseudo-concerts (Swing Swing Swing in '95, Moondance in '01, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in '02, and Malaguena in '03) AND that George Hopkins has proposed lengthening shows back towards the 12 minute limit which existed pre-1986, I would think that Mr. Hopkins could make a valid proposal that concert numbers return and that a corps not be penalized for the lack of marching during that number.

Why were shows shortened in the first place?? Being not around drum corps for a

while I'm a lot out of the loop in that respect. Why have concerts again? Were they not put in so the corps could show off their more talented members and just have a good time without having to worry about trying to hit that high note while marching at full speed. Why not bring it back with the prevision that the corps could have some movement in that time as well.

Hey DCI, WHY NOT. :yeah!:

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

That would be awesome. Give them a chance to show what they can do musically while standing still. Love to see it happen.

That would be awesome. Give them a chance to show what they can do musically while standing still. Love to see it happen.

AND still have enough time to show what they can do musically while marching, too.

Never understood why they did away with it. It was a great showcase for musicianship.

Never understood why they did away with it.

I think it went away because the winner of 3 championships in a row (Cadets) stop doing them. They kept marching and kept winning. Bye bye concert. Now if some one were to have a concert in their show and won, or at least won music, things MIGHT change.

Bring back the start and stop pistols too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the Tick system. Make it clean again. But do keep the more dynamic marching. Just try and clean it like we had to in the day. :bleah:

Never understood why they did away with it.

I think it went away because the winner of 3 championships in a row (Cadets) stop doing them. They kept marching and kept winning. Bye bye concert. Now if some one were to have a concert in their show and won, or at least won music, things MIGHT change.

To be fair, there were portions of each of those Garfield shows that could be defined as "standtill," if not total concert productions. Maybe not a full song from beginning to end, but still a significant amount. The difference being, when they moved, they MOVED. b**bs

Also, one of the main reasons that shows were shortened from 13 minutes (max) to 11.5 (max), was to allow for an extra corps to be shown on the live broadcast at Finals. At least that's how Bill Cook put it when he was helping to put that show on the air. Doesn't seem to matter now that the live broadcast is a thing of the past.

Personally, I don't mind show length as is. Of course, this depends on the show. There are some shows that will never be long enough for me...they are so great that I want them to keep going...gimme more! There are others that I wish could be over much sooner than they actually end. It's amazing how one bad drum corps show can make 11 and a half minutes seem like a half-hour. :bleah: