Heres Something a Little Different....

Another embarassing moment from the annals (hope THAT one is spelled right) of my VK days:

In 1985 we wore those funky white jackets, and we were allowed to decorate our lapel with pins, etc., though only after approval by the staff. I was seeing this very cute member of the Freelancers colorguard, who gave me a little stuffed bear. I decided to pin it to my lapel (the thing must have been 6" x 5" x 4", and not very small at all when pinned to one's uniform) Did I mention that I did NOT submit it to the staff for approval? It escaped notice until the company front near the end of the show. After our performance, I was pulled aside by staff members who couldn't decide whether to laugh or beat me to death.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thank GOD you spelled it right...and that bear must have looked like a hairy tumor on your jacket!

Nice story!

Yes Sam...I no longer drink at all.

Drink bad...except for Diet Coke. Good.

At the Preview of Champions show in Nashville, TN we started the last part of our American Variations show with Flag of Stars. The first few measures of the contra music had been cut, but for some reason on this night, during the excitment of the show, I forgot this important fact :sshh: . So we start playing and I am the only contra playing, by the time I realize this it was to late so I just kept playing. If you are going to make a mistake, make it with confidence.

What's the most embarassing thing that ever to you on the field.

If not you, what's the funniest thing you've ever seen happen to someone else.

Mine was in 1977, we were almost late for a show and we were in a hurry, I had to ahhh, you know, tinkle and ran to the washroom and ran back into line.

It wasn't till we were trooping the stands that I saw some girls pointing at me and laughing, which is nothing special for me, we had done a rather good show and we were high fiving each other and my girlfriend came up to me and asked me what I was trying to pull. I didn't know what the heck she was talking about.

Apparently, after I had gone to the washroom, I forgot to zip up and did the whole show WITH MY FLY OPEN. 

I was wondering why my pants felt a little bit different that night. After that the last thing I did before I left the warm up area was to check my zipper.      w/Stp:  :whistle:

That is a very funny story. I remember a very similar incident that took place with the Anaheim Kingsmen's DM. He also marched an entire show with his fly wide open. Needless to say the staff was not at all amused. He was chewed out royally for that one. To this day he still gets red faced if anyone mentions it to him.

1981 Sparticus two memorable performances:

1st I don't remember where we were but we had just gotten our new pants with a white strip instead of red just minutes before we had to leave for the show, so any problems weren't discovered until the show began, most of which were minor. As we are marching the triangles to the back of the field during the drum solo, Shawn Alan one of our Bari's button breaks and his pants begin to fall down. He is located in the middle of the triangle elbow to elbow with everyone else. Before we get to the back of the field they fall all the way to the ground. Now you have a black man with white underwear in the middle of a football field with thousands of people to watch if not for him being in the middle. Some how he reaches down with one hand and jerks them up just before we split up to extend our capes! Talk about drama, it took many of us everything we had to not laugh out loud. You could hear him the whole time saying "Oh Sh*#" Oh Sh%#@"

The 2nd one involved me during Sparticus DCI Midwest in dekalb. It was pouring down rain and during the drum solo we extend our capes out, well my cape decided to come off and I had no where to put it so I dragged it around for about a minute until we formed our battle circle. Smart me decides to roll it up in my right hand extending my fingers through to play. Worked great until the end when we give our salute at the end of the show. Crowd goes nuts cap unrolls daggling in front of thousands of screaming fans. Embarassing yes, if not for the laughter coming from behind me! b**bs

Edited by Phantombari1