Heres Something a Little Different....

Somewhere in the Midwest, 1989

My friend (who marches Star) finally gets to see our show (Cavaliers). I'm hyped and really hope to have a great show...

Anyway, I hit myself in the right eye catching a parallel, causing me to break on some of the work. I then hit myself in the left eye doing a triple (I still have no idea how I did that). Needless to say my head REALLLYYY hurts by this point...

But just to make things worse... My rifle strap decides to come undone on one end as I toss a five. So not only does the strap hit me across the face as I release it, my five ends up being a wobbly double at best....

I then spend the next who knows how many counts trying to either tear off the strap so that I can get the rest of the work done.

I finally pick up my flag for the closer work only to realize that the top of the flag is slowly coming down (the tape wasn't sticking anymore!!!!!)

Great, great, great show for me - I think I was ###### for a week and ended up looking like a racoon with the 2 black eyes.

I still remember my friend waiting for me after the show with the hugest grin on her face...and telling me that that was without a doubt the most she'd laughed all year.

Later,

Mike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A similar thing happened to one member of the Anaheim Kingsmen guard in the late 60s, as I recall, who had the misfortune of having the elastic on her bloomers give way under her uniform skirt during concert and tumble down around her ankles.

Maybe this is false memory, but I seem to remember a judge trying either to pull them back up for her or help the poor girl out of them.

Any old Kingsmen out there remember this incident?

RON HOUSLEY

1983 Providence, RI. Part of the lights went out in the middle of our show. Get to the last cord of the show and 1side of the horn line saw the cut and the other didn't. I wanted to get in the bus and go home. When 3rd place was announced I wanted to go hide.

Ok, this wasn't on the field, but it happened to me in 78 Northstars...one of the tenors brothers was helping with the equiptment that year.... really cute, the girls were drooling over him, myself included. It ended up that this guy and I hit it off well, he became a big brother to me during tour ( didn't help that my parents were on tour with us as well). Fast forward to the first day of school. Sitting in Chemistry class, waiting for the teacher to show up.... guess who walks into the classroom and introduces himself as our teacher... you guessed!! I shranked to about two inches tall. :whip:

Hey, Sue:

You didn't fall for that "I'm-Too-Good-Looking-For-My-Own-Good" routine did you??

I thought you were stronger than that!!!

Just the fact that he was 6' 3", brown wavy hair, a kinda cute smile and great

big brown eyes. None of the girls I talked to fell for that, sorry they marched in other corps.

I just can't believe it!!!!! <_<

My trousers got a big rip in the seat for some reason. Yikes. I think it happened during a kneel.

The guard in 27th 83, while usually perfect, got tangled in their jumprope. Argh.

• 2 months later...
What's the most embarassing thing that ever to you on the field.

Not a huge embarrasement but College Park, MD. We had a great opener and right when the second piece starts, the tenor line pulls up their toms (because we didn't play for nearly the entire tune). Well, somehow, to this date I don't know how, my center spock drum (center accent tom) just wiggles out and falls on the field! Sucked because we haven't even gone through most of the show and definitely not the percussion feature and I needed that tom! And there it layed and all I could do was watch it as I got further and further away (we were doing a back step drill at slow tempo!). Reminds me of when Tom watched Wilson float off in Cast Away. I didn't cry as much though!!!! It's not easy fake hitting a tom either!