Heres Something a Little Different....

What's the most embarassing thing that ever to you on the field.

If not you, what's the funniest thing you've ever seen happen to someone else.

Mine was in 1977, we were almost late for a show and we were in a hurry, I had to ahhh, you know, tinkle and ran to the washroom and ran back into line.

It wasn't till we were trooping the stands that I saw some girls pointing at me and laughing, which is nothing special for me, we had done a rather good show and we were high fiving each other and my girlfriend came up to me and asked me what I was trying to pull. I didn't know what the heck she was talking about.

Apparently, after I had gone to the washroom, I forgot to zip up and did the whole show WITH MY FLY OPEN.

I was wondering why my pants felt a little bit different that night. After that the last thing I did before I left the warm up area was to check my zipper. w/Stp: :bleah:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 79 we did the music from "The Wiz" and I had a solo in it which for the most part was a nice solo and I enjoyed playing it. However,,, just before the State Championships that year, someone had the bright idea that I should be dressed as a Wizard for the "States". So a couple of the girls from the corps. made the costume and finished the day we left for show. Not much time to practice of course, and what practice I did have to put on this costume, was done in shorts and a tank top, not a uni with an Aussie hat. Well,,, when we got to the starting line in prelims the uniform was in a bag on top of one of the bass drums and during a certain part of the show, I was to drift off behind the drumline and emerge as the Wizard. Things didn't go quite that way however :huh: First the costume got caught on the bass drum, second by the time we were able to free it, it was almost time for my entrance so we through it overmy head and hoped for the best. :bleah: Needless to say our best wasn't very good at that time. The costume was stuck on my Aussie hat and plume and would not allow me to see where I was going. Anyway,, to make a long story a little shorter that night for the finals, The Wizard Costume came up missing. Hmmmmmm?

My most embarrassing moment was in 1978. It was a weekend rehearsal, and we were learning a new drill, I believe for the closer. For the contest that night. Guard members were filling horn slots till folks from the States showed up. We were supposed to show them their new drill, then go to guard rehearsal. Folks kept pulling in, but my guy didn't show up for the longest time. In fact, I was the last guard member still marching a horn spot. And, unbeknownst to me, the guard was learning a completely new flag book for concert. Also for the contest that night.

Nobody bothered to tell me about the guard changes, or I would've said something and left a whole lot sooner. Finally, my guy showed up. I showed him his drill and left for the remaining few minutes of guard sectional . . . and was stunned when I saw the guard doing a brand-new "mystery" concert flag book. Girls in the guard were trying to teach me the new work in, like, five minutes. My memory just doesn't work that way, you know? If I'd been with the guard the entire afternoon, I could've done it. But not with, "Now you do this, and then you do this, and then you. . . ." Ugh!

So, marching into the stadium that night was a bizarre experience. It's pretty depressing to know that beyond a certain point, you have no idea what you're doing. And I didn't fake it all that well, either. Oh, well. That's one judge's tape I'm glad I never heard. :(

Edited by byline

We were at retreat at the Pizza Hut Invitational somewhere in Kansas in the mid 70's. Standard retreat formation is for the baritones to be somewhere in the hinterland, with only the contras more hinter.

The ceremony was blessed with a streaker running along the track across the full front side of the grandstand. I couldn't see a thing, and didn't want to. All I could hear was the crowd response, which was oddly like the Blue Devils 'Space Music'. The laughter proceeded from one side of the stands to the other, like a vocal wave.

A slightly modified version of retreat.

76' Commodores... One show the drum major counted off the beginning of our concert number without bringing up the horns first! :bleah:

The drums come in alone... maybe 24 to 32 cts. later we get a horns up... He still doesn't know how or when to cue an entrance for the hornline... finally, at letter B we get a cue from one of our instructors in the stands, maybe 10 of us see it and come in.... within 4 cts. we're rockin and rollin like nothing ever happened :P

Last season at Glendora....1st time with my white DM jacket...Phantom's there, so at the suggestion of Garry Parker I do a play on the Regiment baton bit...and I forget to allow time for the guard to finish setting up!

I start the count and the guard (as they tell me later, 'cause I wasn't watching) runs to their 1st set of flags and only miss a couple of bars...but MAn do they let me have it right after the show...

Bad, Drum Major...bad, BAD Drum Major!

Needless to say, it didn't happen again...

1979 finals...Back then the ludwig snare projectors were heavy enough where we had to duct tape them to drum and pray they would not fall off.

Well before we went in, everyone is shaking hands & hugging each other and someone accidently hit my drum while on the ground and it rolled a little bit.

That year we had the rainbow drapes around the snares.

Anyway the snare line came up front at one point in the middle of the show and I start to feel the scoop shaking a bit and sure enough as we backed up, there was the scoop laying on ground. It was like my drum laid an egg.

Needless to say we got 1 tenth in penalty which would of put us a liilte closer to 27th.

After that happened, guys would break my chops by saying "Whats the scoop Jim?

Jim Dugan

Bridgemen

78-81

OK, I know you meant competition field, but I always love to tell this story.

Steel City practice field. :)

Rick Morey setting drills spot. b**bs

His wife Barb is playing sop.

B)

Rick decides to get a little frisky as he approaches Barb. b**bs

Reaches around from behind her and grabs one. b**bs b**bs b**bs

OOPS, it's not wife, it's Tracey, a rookie. :sshh:

I will tell you that both women are built about the same, but come on Rick, tell the truth.

Did you really think Tracey was Barb? :bleah:

2001 Crossmen-Rome, New York

Best night of my life from a chops standpoint. I felt like I could've covered a week on the "Late Show" so I decided to take some, ahem, liberty with the Firedance solo, adding a note or two in...Well, I didn't quite get to the note I wanted to, and then started thinking about how bad that sounded and forgot to play a good measure and a half of the solo! There's an .mp3 floating around somewhere...I have a copy of it and must say I laugh my tail off every time I hear it.

Oh well, I still had a good time!

:bleah:

Guess this counts....

67 Anaheim Kingsmen, first field show that year.....at the end of the Duke Ellington concert (I had the early "Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me" bari solo) the corps lays out for the final chord waiting for the solo sop to hit the high C to F.......DM signals for the note.......NOTHING!!! dead silence for what seems to be forever!.....I decide to "save the day" and play the part on a tenor baritone......the high C comes out strong.....the high F is the one I whiffed completely! But at least the corps could finish the last F Major chord and end concert.

Wait! There's a two-fer on this one......out of concert, Kingsmen are playing "Bill Bailey." There's a nice little bugle quartet....me on tenor bari, two bass baris (the legendary Horn Bros. --Jim and Larry-- from Royal Airs) and Moose Fallon on contra. We do our part and are supposed to go back field and re-join the horn line.....instead I take a few steps forward and give a big OK sign to the audience.

Turns out that Rocco, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford were right there on the sidelines to witness.

After the gig, Rocco comes up to me and says "Ron, I would have expected that from anybody but you!"

Needless to say, I learned my lesson about being a "showboat" and it never happened again.

RON HOUSLEY