Heres Something a Little Different....

2000 Surf... Marching at Franklin Field... During the end of the ballad, I stood up off the ground and stepped on my skirt, showing my whole backside to Philadelphia...

I could hear my parents laughing in the stands... <_<

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

76' Commodores... One show the drum major counted off the beginning of our concert number without bringing up the horns first!  :blink:

Same thing happened to St Lucy's at Wildwood in 66....I have a recording of that show, and for concert all you heard were bleeps and bloops form the horn line. I asked a former member about it, and ends up the same thing happened to them that happened to you.

Mike

DATR '82. I'm a rifle. I'm on about the 45, doing my work, minding my own business, when I look up (or down) to see a photographer in front of me pointing his camera right at me. I lose my concentration for a second and drop my rifle on a nothing move. He simply switches his focus to the guy next to me who, by the way, ended up on the cover of Drum Corps World the next issue.

I guess one of his earlier pictures of me was ok, because it was in the DATR program the next year.

76' Commodores... One show the drum major counted off the beginning of our concert number without bringing up the horns first!  :blink:

The drums come in alone...  maybe 24 to 32 cts. later we get a horns up...  He still doesn't know how or when to cue an entrance for the hornline...  finally, at letter B we get a cue from one of our instructors in the stands, maybe 10 of us see it and come in.... within 4 cts. we're rockin and rollin like nothing ever happened :P

Something like that happened to us at our first show in 1984 when we came back to the field after a year off. Our DM forgot to give the horns up before he started the show. the drum line started the show and played like a measure and noticed the hornline wasn't playing so we just repeated the first measure again and the horn line came in. It was a pretty good recovery for a very young corps. after that show the staff took out all horns up commands and had the brass bring up their horns during the countoff like the drumline brings out their sticks. Solved the problem.

1986: Finals, Full Retreat. My age-out year. I managed to get through four years of corps without earning a nickname - until that night. VK went on early in the evening, so a few of us stepped across the street to the Badger Tavern for some, uh, refreshments. A few pitchers later, it was time to suit up and get ready for Finale. (It was during this brief period that I earned yet another nickname, but I can neither tell you the name, nor the circumstances by which I earned it).

On the field and awaiting the announcement of the scores now. VK was lined up next to PR. It being a tense time for all of us, I decided to lighten things up a bit. Boldy walking up to the staid Phantom Regiment Contra line, I pretended to pull a cape across my face. "I AM SPARTACUS!" I declared, and hilarity ensued. Well, I though it was funny. My protectors, the great Velvet Knights shielded me from harm I think. It was all kind of a blur after that. There was a rush of people, scores, applause, an age-out circle and a big party I think.

Anyway, not one of my best moments. Ryan...can you fill in the gaps???

"I AM SPARTACUS!" I declared, and hilarity ensued.

*snort* Oh, man, I'll bet it did! I'm glad I'd finished my coffee, because I haven't laughed out loud at a post like that in quite some time. Thanks, I needed that! :spit:

1986:  Finals, Full Retreat.  My age-out year.

Hey Charles, I had no idea you were a VK alum - you know me better as Matt from Anaheim Band. It seems like just about everyone in SoCal had ties to VK at some point...!

As for my own personal worst moment, DCI South in '92, backing up at the end of a very quickly rotating pinwheel right after the big band feature. The drill at this point opened up a 6-step hole between us and another rotating pinwheel, through which a guard member shot while ALSO backing up. We had never had a problem until this particular night, when all of a sudden I get the wind knocked out of me and am lying flat on my face as the corps quickly moves away - the guard member and I had collided back to back at high speed. Not my most graceful moment (or recovery, for that matter).

Edited by mattvk

Hey Charles, I had no idea you were a VK alum - you know me better as Matt from Anaheim Band. It seems like just about everyone in SoCal had ties to VK at some point...!

As for my own personal worst moment, DCI South in '92, backing up at the end of a very quickly rotating pinwheel right after the big band feature. The drill at this point opened up a 6-step hole between us and another rotating pinwheel, through which a guard member shot while ALSO backing up. We had never had a problem until this particular night, when all of a sudden I get the wind knocked out of me and am lying flat on my face as the corps quickly moves away - the guard member and I had collided back to back at high speed. Not my most graceful moment (or recovery, for that matter).

Ouch! ...but was your horn ok??

Hi Matt, didn't know you were VK. Yes, there's lots of us out there!

Why the #### didn't I ever know about these little stories Charles!!?? Sheeeeeeeesh....just like my bud Sue, I almost choked on my water here at work reading that. I AM SPARRRRRRRRRRRTACUS!! You whack! You're lucky they didn't clobber you into next week...that's so #### funny because I simply envision you doing that and bustin' yourself up!

No--the only stories I know of embarrassment during retreats was that pinhead contra in 1985 from Huntington Beach that decided to barf all over the back sidelines. LOVELY...I'm sure that nurse running around was pleased as punch too.

1986...yowza...it just hit me...I remember getting a ride back to Middleton HS from the stadium by one of the cough cough hostesses from the high school, by way of her house--her mom was driving though. But still...we watched a video of the live performance--so it was cool. Then we, uhhh, then we, uhhh, talked....yeah....talked....

For awhile...

We talked...

Yeah....

BTW, I still think I was pretty embarrassed the next day in 1987 after realizing that in a drunken haze I marched down the middle of State St. in downtown Madison at 1am as we headed back to the buses after a VERY fun "night off". I apparently was under the delusion I was still the DM from the parade we had earlier that day!