1978 DCI Race

SCV's drum major I don't remember what he did

Finish writing that check to Shirley and Don?

Yeah, I went there!

Rocketman - Thats Mister Bitter to you

ampssuck

:drool::lol::lol::worthy::lol: :P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I went there!

ampssuck

:lol::lol::worthy::lol::lol: :P

Lancerfi! :drool:

How you doin?

Getting ready for Denver or Regal?

I actually am considering, for next year, DCI east and DCA.

Rocketman - Pinwheels r us!

ampssuck = amps suck

:z shakes head in consternation at self and at fellow 1970's DCPers:

I can't believe we've had FOUR PAGES of thread on 1978 Madison Scouts..........

and not one single mention of "God Bless the Child"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan and Robert, I'm SOOOOOOO disappointed!!!!!! :(

Yeah, I went there!

ampssuck

:lol::lol::worthy::lol::lol: :P

Lancerfi! :drool:

How you doin?

Getting ready for Denver or Regal?

I actually am considering, for next year, DCI east and DCA.

Rocketman - Pinwheels r us!

ampssuck = amps suck

Right now it looks like Regal! What about you for this year?

DCI East next year ha? I'm not sure about that, I guess it will depend how many singers are involved. :lol: Also, there's always Foxboro, MA in 2005....

:z shakes head in consternation at self and at fellow 1970's DCPers:

I can't believe we've had FOUR PAGES of thread on 1978 Madison Scouts..........

and not one single mention of "God Bless the Child"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan and Robert, I'm SOOOOOOO disappointed!!!!!! :(

Ok!

I think God Bless isnt mentioned frequently because it really is thought of as part of the 73 and 74 shows. The arrangement we did in 78 was the exact same one, in fact listening to recordings of those years, its hard to know which is which. The only thing differentiating them is the soloists. I liked ours but my favorite is 74 with John Georgeson (sp?) the guy who won Baritone Individuals and almost got the beat down of his life by the Anaheim Guard for cutting thru their ranks on his way to receive his award! You could actually imagine them tense up and their eyes go buggy as this clueless guy wanders right thru them!

The first repertoire selection for concert in 78 was actually Hi de Ho, another BST tune. They junked it about 2 months before the season, probably realizing if they wanted a piece with the same impact as GBTC, you may as well play it!

This year Royal Airs are doing GBTC as their concert, but they have yet to perform it on the field they are still working it. I'm told it's a different arrangement, but at Waukesha on the practice field I found I was able to play right along with them, the parts I remember anyway. Changes seems to minimal. Sort of like Renegades "new" arrangment of Bohemian Rhapsody in 02. It was 95% the Scouts 1979 arrangement to which they tacked on 16 new measures. Scouts it seems will always be favored source material for Senior Corps!

Edited by dans24103

Its funny you should bring that up Mr. Z. I cant remember what early season show it was (some fair ground or race track). There was a big over hang and the stands were packed.

Right after the solo jam part in GBTC, The big kick (dah dat dah daaah) The crowd stood up all at once and was so loud i could not hear myself play.What a kick that was for a 17 year old Scout rookie

:worthy:

and one in MA which everyone knows is horsecrap.

Actually is was PA (Percussion Analysis). I DEFINITELY have to disagree with you here. There is no way that anyones line played more musical that SCV..... SCV always had a musical ambience to their lines, so the jump from execution and difficulty in previous years to execution and musicality was not that difficult for them.

However, most lines, including my Dev's had a very tough time with the transition.

Its funny you should bring that up Mr. Z. I cant remember what early season show it was (some fair ground or race track). There was a big over hang and the stands were packed.

Right after the solo jam part in GBTC, The big kick (dah dat dah daaah) The crowd stood up all at once and was so loud i could not hear myself play.What a kick that was for a 17 year old Scout rookie

:worthy:

Yeah, R.P., that's in uncle z's memory banks, too!! (I think I was at that show) :drool:

Now, can you and Dan explain to me why I seem to remember hearing "Hi De Ho" in 1978--with a LOOOOOONG sop solo at the end????

Phantom's drum line was playing a lot 16th notes with left hand leads.

Mom:

It is OBVIOUS, we are bias to our respective corps. I will also agree that Madison indeed had a great drum line. And as much as we can all debate numbers, a quick look at recaps shows that the judges must have been REALLY impressed by those 16th notes with left hand leads, in order to somehow rate the line first in DA (Drumming analysis/content) on both nights! (We fooled 'em twice, imagine that!)

But, as I indicated, from prelims and being down .10 in GE M&M (our best caption) with what we knew to be a BAD show, to finals, a considerably better show, but now down .40 in GE M&M (Dropping from 3rd to 6th), well, I seriously doubt Shirley Whitcomb wasn't as bias as you or I. It is unfortunate her bias came shinning through. If we had kept the same score (9.8), it would have looked thus:

PR 91.65

SCV 91.55

Opps, my bitterness is showing again.

Rocketman - Mucho Bitter

ampssuck

Right now it looks like Regal! What about you for this year?

DCI East next year ha? I'm not sure about that, I guess it will depend how many singers are involved. :worthy: Also, there's always Foxboro, MA in 2005....

Lancerfi:

It's going to be a Regal DCI for me. And a hot one, I'll be in Arizona!

I am really not all that crazy about Boston, that's why I am considering East and/or DCA.

However, any more miked singing and it's DCA all the way!

Rocketman - No D!@# Mikes!

ampssuck