1978 DCI Race

1978 was an amazing year for that little baby blue group from Atlanta. I was a 16-year-old guard member in absolute awe of the guards of Phantom, 27th Lancers, Madison Scouts and Santa Clara. You could have all worn potato sacks and still been the hottest thing spinning guard equipment, imho.

You're the drum corps giants of my childhood, and I will always be a fan. Mr. Zingali was always very kind and supportive of Spirit, and 27 should still be here. I now have two daughters in Spirit, even though it is now in Alabama, and tell them stories of legends like Jim Ott, George Zingali, Gail Royer, Scott Stewart and George Bonfiglio. They've seen "Brass Roots" and know they stand on the shoulders of all who went before and still love drum corps fiercely.

That said, Spirit went from startup 23rd in '77 to 6th in '78 and I will always be proud of that. Thanks, Jim Ott!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, Spirit went from startup 23rd in '77 to 6th in '78 and I will always be proud of that. Thanks, Jim Ott!

Hey Hey Hey--I remember seeing Spirit at D.C.I. Midwest in '77 and thinking "These guys are GONNA be good soon"!!!

I even went out and got one of those Gundlach T-shirts!!! B)

1978 was an amazing year for that little baby blue group from Atlanta.  I was a 16-year-old guard member in absolute awe of the guards of Phantom, 27th Lancers, Madison Scouts and Santa Clara.  You could have all worn potato sacks and still been the hottest thing spinning guard equipment, imho.

You're the drum corps giants of my childhood, and I will always be a fan.  Mr. Zingali was always very kind and supportive of Spirit, and 27 should still be here.  I now have two daughters in Spirit, even though it is now in Alabama, and tell them stories of legends like Jim Ott, George Zingali, Gail Royer, Scott Stewart and George Bonfiglio.  They've seen "Brass Roots" and know they stand on the shoulders of all who went before and still love drum corps fiercely.

That said, Spirit went from startup 23rd in '77 to 6th in '78 and I will always be proud of that.  Thanks, Jim Ott!

Even in 77 Spirit sounded awfully good in standstill, its when you moved that it became clear you needed more time. Who would have known you only needed one more year to crack top 12?!!

Edited by dans24103

And by "crack", we mean "bust wide open"!

:D

heh....yea '78 was a weird year. The next week went like this:

July 8

Allentown, PA

DCI East Prelims

1. Scouts- 83.70

2. Regiment- 82.40

3. Bridgemen 81.70

4. Devils 81.50

5. Vanguard 79.80

July 8

Allentown, PA

DCI East Finals

1. Devils 83.30

2. Regiment 82.80

3. Scouts 82.60

4. Vanguard 81.95

5. Bridgemen 81.55

July 13

Toronto, Ontario

1. Devils 86.05

2. Scouts 85.10

3. Regiment 84.60

4. Vanguard 83.85

July 15

Whitewater, WI

DCI Midwest Prelims

1. Devils 84.00

2. Regiment 83.10

3. Vanguard 83.05

4. Scouts 82.30

July 15

Whitewater, WI

DCI Midwest Finals

1. Regiment 86.85

2. Devils 86.30

3. Scouts 85.75

4. Vanguard 85.25

Ya think they were trying to confuse the DC world? This type of fluctuation is kinda hard to figure, ESPECIALLY with the tick system.

The next time the big 5 faced each other was at DCI.

That had to be one of the coolest years ever! I used to have the yearbook from that year.

SCV's drum major I don't remember what he did

Finish writing that check to Shirley and Don?

Yeah, I went there!

Rocketman - Thats Mister Bitter to you

ampssuck

Phantom's drum line was playing a lot 16th notes with left hand leads while the horn line marched 2 man pinwheels between blowing. Not impressed enough to call it Championship quality. However while admit as mundane as it sounds it was performed quite well.

Mom

That video from '76.  Larry looks like he could take a nap after that solo.  I made fun of him for that.  I said sheesh Larry, try to calm down already.  I never saw anyone look so relaxed playing this honking, screechin' solo.

:worthy:  :drool:

BTW, Larry was on our M&M staff in '81--as a drummer I totally LOVED his

lackadaisical approach to leg heights--somewhere around mid-calf as opposed to

the ususal heel-to-the-kneecap!!!! :lolhit:

(and my knee joints are happier 20+ years later!!!)

Yea, "back in the day" when there was a leg lift, Larry was the only one in the corp that got away with lefting his legs no higher then his ankles. No one really said anthing because he was our best player plus how can you hit triple G's with your legs up to your chest? For me, my knees are fine but my back aches constantly. #### drum corp!!

To this day, he is one of the most layed back people I know. I still think he was born in southern California not Chicago. But a great guy! He GAVE me his trumpet some years back when I couldn't afford more then a cornet.

I just saw him at Normal. He would be amused to know he is a topic of conversation on a drum corps web forum. :lol:

He is very laid back. I don't think I've ever seen him angry.

Phantom's drum line was playing a lot 16th notes with left hand leads while the horn line marched 2 man pinwheels between blowing. Not impressed enough to call it Championship quality. However while admit as mundane as it sounds it was performed quite well.

Mom

So your point is, because of 16 counts of 2 man pin wheels, the entire show was lame? How lame is that?

Rocketman - ampssuck