Rudiments Rule!!!

uncle z

What do you think is the coolest rudiment??  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the coolest rudiment??

• Triple Stroke Roll
    • Single Stroke Seven
    • Flam Tap
    • Lesson 25
    • Triple Ratamacue
    • Swiss Army Triplets
    • Pataflafla
    • Paradiddle-diddle

And of course, by coolest rudiment, I mean coolest-sounding rudiment!!!!

Feel free to add your own!!!

Sorry, but I couldn't take the negativity in the "females on bass" thread!!! :(

I love 'em all, z, but what originally dazzled me as a youngster was when I caught the first Kilties 67 drum solo - snares doing alternating flam sixteenth notes for two measures with flam drags thrown in for fun - just friggin' eyewatering and inhumanly impossible.

Then Mouth in 68/69 - great drum solo with flipstix off ratamacues - but then, Sorny could do no wrong in my eyes! (he still can't, come to think of it!).

Also was dazzled by the Boston Crusaders snare line in 67 - a full measure of 4 snares doing left handed sixteenth notes in their last drum solo. Just so cool!

Best rudimental lines from my era had to be Royal Airs, Kilties, BC, Des Plaines Vanguard, Cavvies, Troopers, and 27th.

I even remember the days of the RUDIMENTAL BASS DRUMMER! Bring 'em back!

How about some of the hybrids? I don't hear many of those from any corps. The best I have heard is from Revolution, they have great rudiments flowing through out all of their exercises and are very influential in their whole show. There are some clips on Drumlineparkinglot.net. There is a sweet bass run too... quick sixtuplets between the top three, I think, correct me if I am wrong.

I have a lot of fun with the "hybrid" rudiments. very tricky, but a lot of fun.

Personally, I have found that WHAT is being played is alot less important than WHY we are playing in the first place. I feel a more musical approach is beneficial in the development of rudimental drumming. It doesn't seem to be about "FLASHCARDS" anymore, but focusing on making a strong musical statement. I think our ART has grown from a "bunch of licks" to a COMPLETE PHRASE. I also think this applies to the ENTIRE ENSEMBLE, as opposed to just snare drummers.

These are my opinions. BLAST AWAY...

As a writer, I am not thinking about "parradiddle-paradiddlediddle" BUT MORE ABOUT WHAT WOULD AUGMENT THE ENSEMBLE. This is probably the reason we have so many new "rudiments" now. Cool things happen when you're not just thinking about cheese 5 singled inverted whatevers. This is an opinion. The opinion is mine. Flame away...

very true gene, but if your looking a kewl rudiments...Swiss Triplets

let's not forget flam drags. :silly:

Back-sticked, flam ratamacues . . .

• Like 1