Rudiments Rule!!!

uncle z

What do you think is the coolest rudiment??  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the coolest rudiment??

• Triple Stroke Roll
    • Single Stroke Seven
    • Flam Tap
    • Lesson 25
    • Triple Ratamacue
    • Swiss Army Triplets
    • Pataflafla
    • Paradiddle-diddle

I don't know about the coolest, but to me the HARDEST to play were "silent flams" where you tap the low stick on the head and then use the high stick to come down like you're going to put the accent on it but noooooo, you have to save it for the next tap when the rudiment switches hands. It's a mental tounge twister. Absolutely maddenning. I've never seen a snare line execute it cleanly in unison.

You're talking about ghost flams and they've been done well numerous times

You're talking about ghost flams and they've been done well numerous times

"Ghost flams", "silent flams". Different era perhaps, but same horse-different name. What corps were they done by and in what year?

I've often wondered if you could rate rudiments on a "building block" type of scale - in general terms what are level 1 type rudiments, 2, 3, etc.

Mike

I think that you bring up a good point Mike. We were always taught that the basics were the "Standard American 25", and all else was either a derivitive or combination thereof.

"Ghost flams", "silent flams". Different era perhaps, but same horse-different name. What corps were they done by and in what year?

Off the top of my head Phantom Regiment utilized them a few times during the Marty Hurley era. NY Skyliners 1966 as well. I also seem to remember Blessed Sac utilizing them as well around 1967-69. I know when I played under Eric Perrilouix in the St Rita's Brassmen, we had a exercise in a quarter note, eigth note, eigth note triplet,paradiddle format that utilized them as well. I've always used them in I & E solos in different configurations. they were also called Air flams and stealth flams btw.

Edited by Fastone

Off the top of my head Phantom Regiment utilized them a few times during the Marty Hurley era. NY Skyliners 1966 as well. I also seem to remember Blessed Sac utilizing them as well around 1967-69. I know when I played under Eric Perrilouix in the St Rita's Brassmen, we had a exercise in a quarter note, eigth note, eigth note triplet,paradiddle format that utilized them as well. I've always used them in I & E solos in different configurations. they were also called Air flams and stealth flams btw.

Wow! I remember all those lines and Eric too, but for some reason I never remembered the "flams". That's cool to know. Thanks Fastone.

• 1 month later...

snares doing alternating flam sixteenth notes for two measures... just friggin' eyewatering and inhumanly impossible.

I learned alternating 16th flams from former Kiltie snare Jack Pankow/Jon Hogle [same person] in Wichita KS in 1967 and, if you know the trick to playing them, they're no more difficult than 32nd note rolls and Swiss Triplets [hint, hint].

HELP. I am 180 miles away from my charts, so I can't remember what the cheeses looks like. I would also like to know what a Herta is although the last time I worked on cheeses I herta myself. Lots of knowlegable drummers on this site, but I never see a chart posted. Is there a site that has all the charts on it? I looked at PAS the other day, but they want you to pay them for a history of the glockenspiel so you can see what a pataflafa looks like.

Listened to Rob Carson the other day playing the 40 and I found it amusing that whereas he could play some over 200, he couldn't get over 160 on others particularly the flams. No criticism because Mr. Carson's skills are supurb, but after a while the flam stuff started sounding the same, which makes me think, " are we needlessly complicating our licks"? The horn section can do 32 bars of triple tongues, which is one lick, yet we are expecting ourselves to play 90 rudiments in the same 32 bars.

BTW, there are some rudiments, e.g.swiss triplets that I can get over 200 right handed, but try as I might, I can't get over 26 left handed. Call me a klutz, but at least I tried. I hope this provides you with some chuckles. Wasn't that a candy?

Kevin

Anyone wants to talk, call me at 318-348-2847