Spirit Memorial Weekend Report

I just got back from visiting my girlfriend who is marching Spirit this year. They had an open-house sort of thing for parents and friends to come and see the progress. After lunch they took about an hour and warmed up for their performance. They assembled and played through the first 3 parts of their show. I marched Bluecoats last year, but aside from that i've never really watched any corps warm up or do a personal performance and I must say it was very entertaining for me.

It seems to me that they have taken a very Cavalier-style approach this year:

1) origional music

2) Gains (cavaliers) wrote their drill

3) some cavalier person wrote the brass book (i dont recall if he was formerly with the cavalies or still is)

4) cavalier-style marching (bent knee for forward and backward ect...)

They look like they are going to come out very strong this year. I particularly enjoyed hearing the standstill performance of the show- Spirit's hornline was definitly very loud so that might be one difference from the controlled cavalier brass approach- but I for one prefer the peel-your-face-off-loud approach! The brass book seemed to be much more effect-oriented (ala Cavies) than in the past- especially in the 3rd movement.... sounds good.

Look for a very strong performance from spirit this year- Can't wait to see the entire show!

I think Michael Gaines and Richard Saucedo are still with the Cavaliers...along with Spirit...last I heard!!

Edited by LaSqueegee

Spirit's had a bent-leg style of marching for a while now.

Moving to Show Reviews Forum (Camp reviews should be placed there as well and become eligible for the DCP Reviews Contest)

I just got back from visiting my girlfriend who is marching Spirit this year. They had an open-house sort of thing for parents and friends to come and see the progress. After lunch they took about an hour and warmed up for their performance. They assembled and played through the first 3 parts of their show. I marched Bluecoats last year, but aside from that i've never really watched any corps warm up or do a personal performance and I must say it was very entertaining for me.

It seems to me that they have taken a very Cavalier-style approach this year:

1) origional music

2) Gains (cavaliers) wrote their drill

3) some cavalier person wrote the brass book (i dont recall if he was formerly with the cavalies or still is)

4) cavalier-style marching (bent knee for forward and backward ect...)

They look like they are going to come out very strong this year. I particularly enjoyed hearing the standstill performance of the show- Spirit's hornline was definitly very loud so that might be one difference from the controlled cavalier brass approach- but I for one prefer the peel-your-face-off-loud approach! The brass book seemed to be much more effect-oriented (ala Cavies) than in the past- especially in the 3rd movement.... sounds good.

Look for a very strong performance from spirit this year- Can't wait to see the entire show!

I am bit concerned about Spirit and the Crossmen this year. There are a lot of former Cavalier folks on both those staffs now and I just PRAY that they dont write/arrange (Especially music) a Cavalier like show. These two corps had something that the Cavaliers lacked....EXCITEMENT. Spirit and Crossmen 2003 corps were awesome and presented a show that everyone could enjoy. I liked their show (Musically) very much last season.

A Little Nervous :silly: ,

Triple Forte

I am bit concerned about Spirit and the Crossmen this year. There are a lot of former Cavalier folks on both those staffs now and I just PRAY that they dont write/arrange (Especially music) a Cavalier like show. These two corps had something that the Cavaliers lacked....EXCITEMENT.  Spirit and Crossmen 2003 corps were awesome and presented a show that everyone could enjoy. I liked their show (Musically) very much last season.

A Little Nervous  :silly: ,

Triple Forte

No need to worry, everything is going to fine.

When Spirit takes the field...you will know (and hear B) ) its Spirit!

I am bit concerned about Spirit and the Crossmen this year. There are a lot of former Cavalier folks on both those staffs now and I just PRAY that they dont write/arrange (Especially music) a Cavalier like show. These two corps had something that the Cavaliers lacked....EXCITEMENT.  Spirit and Crossmen 2003 corps were awesome and presented a show that everyone could enjoy. I liked their show (Musically) very much last season.

A Little Nervous  :silly: ,

Triple Forte

No need to worry, everything is going to fine.

When Spirit takes the field...you will know (and hear B) ) its Spirit!

I wouldn't be concerned. I cannot speak for Spirit because I have never been a member of their corps, but I am sure that the Crossmen will maintain the level of energy that they've been known for. I have good friends on staff and in the corps, and none of them would have it any other way. There's something about being on the field with the Crossmen that makes you just want to let it rip. There's no way to explain it...I've tried for years now to no avail...its just one of those things you have to hear to believe...

...but don't be worried. You'll be thrilled with the sights and sounds coming from both corps.

I am bit concerned about Spirit and the Crossmen this year. There are a lot of former Cavalier folks on both those staffs now and I just PRAY that they dont write/arrange (Especially music) a Cavalier like show. These two corps had something that the Cavaliers lacked....EXCITEMENT. Spirit and Crossmen 2003 corps were awesome and presented a show that everyone could enjoy. I liked their show (Musically) very much last season.

Triple Forte

I heard the Crossmen's music at the memorial Brass show, and IMO it is VERY Crossmen, and you shouldn't worry.

I do take some issue with your characterization of the Cavies, though. I thought their music and overall shows have been VERY exciting the past few years.

Mike