Favorite past competitions

Yes, Memorial Stadium was pretty cool; think it's been torn down several years ago...too bad!

BUT...for all you central PAers (and a little beyond), WAY BACK in the 60s, there was always a great Memorial Day weekend show at McCaskey HS in Lancaster. This opened the season for most of the corps. York (Jr) was always there (the hometown kids?) and the regular NJ, DE, MD corps: St Mary's Lancers, Blue Rock, Vagabonds, Bellaires, others from the Phillie/SJ area, but there would also always be a good NYC corps (St Rocco's, Kingsmen, Ridgemen) and NE corps (Pittsfield Cavaliers, Braintree Warriors, etc). Fun days. The stadium was great and the show continued strong till around 1970 or so.

Steve

ps: was going to put this in the memorial day topic but this fit both pretty well...and this one's more recent!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Memorial Stadium was pretty cool; think it's been torn down several years ago...too bad!

BUT...for all you central PAers (and a little beyond), WAY BACK in the 60s, there was always a great Memorial Day weekend show at McCaskey HS in Lancaster.  This opened the season for most of the corps.  York (Jr) was always there (the hometown kids?) and the regular NJ, DE, MD corps: St Mary's Lancers, Blue Rock, Vagabonds, Bellaires, others from the Phillie/SJ area, but there would also always be a good NYC corps (St Rocco's, Kingsmen, Ridgemen) and NE corps (Pittsfield Cavaliers, Braintree Warriors, etc).  Fun days.  The stadium was great and the show continued strong till around 1970 or so.

Steve

ps:  was going to put this in the memorial day topic but this fit both pretty well...and this one's more recent!

Have to agree on the stadium. My HS played McCaskey in football in the mid 70s. Standing on the field it was hard to realized this was a HS stadium.

#### double posting... <**>

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• 2 months later...

Favorite stadiums.....

Favorite shows....

First, has to be Acquinas in Rochester. Ever June we travelled there to watch the "International". This was the first place I ever saw NY Skyliners - I think it was 1962 - but every year for a decade or more the show was fabulous.

Second, has to be the Dream. The last time we made the trip we arrived a little too late to have our choice of seats (it was only a 500 mile trip, after all) and the first corps was already on the starting line out in left field. We noticed there were no fans down near the 25 or 30 yard line so we rushed up to claim them. And we soon found out why they were "empty". Pigeon crap at least an inch thick! We managed to find enough newspapers lying around to cover a couple of seats but spent the whole show in danger of sliding right off the benches.

Third. Randall's Island. A wonderful "local show" but it usually included one or two of the current powerhouses.

And lastly - CNE Stadium in Toronto - The Shriners International. The Rameses Temple sponsored this combination junior/senior show for many years and always had an excellent lineup. I'll never forget seeing Sunrisers at what must have been the absolute peak of their fame. They looked and sounded like Skyliners but the bonus was they could also march. A year or two later I saw Racine Scouts for the first time. An outstanding drum corps.

Hey Steve. Were you marching the year Westshore did an RCA show at the Allentown Fairgrounds[i think it was Allentown]. After reading all these great posts and awesome places to march and watch at, I could.t help thinking of the worst show places ever. Anyhow at the fair we had to compress the show to fit on a sulky track at the fair. About 300 people watched us and Emmaus Sentinels, Hanover Lancers, and one other I can't remember. We won, of course, but how wierd was that. Maybe the year was 1970 because I was still in high school and had just joined the Bonnie-Scots.

• 4 weeks later...

A few of my favorite shows were all of the Aquinis & Hollander DCA championships shows.....I belonged to a small local Pgh corps and the Friday before Labor day every year we had a parade up interstate 79 near Meadville in a small town of Stoneboro....After the parade we loaded up 5-6 cars with people and went to Rochester for finals....There was a lot of love for drumcorps within those vehicles....Cumberland shows and Westernport competitions were awesome because a lot of people from the Pittsburgh area attended those shows every year.....It was old home week and reunion Saturday for a lot of Olde Phartes from Pgh drumcorps....

Rochester and Cumberland get my vote.....

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

• 1 month later...
Hey Steve. Were you marching the year Westshore did an RCA show at the Allentown Fairgrounds[i think it was Allentown]. After reading all these great posts and awesome places to march and watch at, I could.t help thinking of the worst show places ever. Anyhow at the fair we had to compress the show to fit on a sulky track at the fair. About 300 people watched us and Emmaus Sentinels, Hanover Lancers, and one other I can't remember. We won, of course, but how wierd was that. Maybe the year was 1970 because I was still in high school and had just joined the Bonnie-Scots.

I believe I DO remember that but the year is way beyond my ability to retain details like the year. . . :) . But you also made me think of the one or two competitions held inside Harrisburg's Farm Show Arena that wasn't as big as a football field either. Remember that 6' or 7' wall inside the arena? It was kind of the same thing where we had to compress our shows to fit in. I even remember one drill move where we were smack up against the walls because there wasn't any other place to go. :D

Edited by drumzx

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yea I remember Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, like all those type places the sidelines and the stands never lined up, dredfull for any corps, much less the less able ones...

The Dream...ohh first big show I ever saw 1965, and what a show!! Didn't even notice the place was not that great the show was so overwhelming. When I got to compete there in 1973 it was more noticealbe how bad it was, but who cared I was marching in The DREAM!! The field there was even more challenging than the regular not lined up stadiums. Half of the field was either a mud hole or a sand storm depending on the weather that year. Had members lose shoes in the muck during the show, but it was The Dream #### it!!

Did a ton of shows at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport, in fact my first competition ever was there. And the first show I didn't come in last was there too, as well as the first World Open I competed in so many fond memories there. The Barnum Fest shows had unbelievable crowds and were amazing to march in.

Did an indoor show at Madison Square Garden with Sky in 1975, one would think that would be cool, but the acustics sucked, you couldn't hear anything well.

ohhh gee how could I forget.... Carnegie Hall Evening with the Corps!!! Now it wasn't a competition, but to be playing on the stage at Carnegie Hall was pretty awe inspiring for a pre-teen kid. So awe inspiring one of the girls in the guard wet the stage floor when the curtain went up!!

The worst place for a show...... Gaelic Park in the Bronx, NY... bad enough it was one of those stadium places, but it was surrounded on 3 sides by multiple levels of train tracks. So every few minutes a train would pull in or out and you couldn't hear anything from the field!! First time I got to see Cavaliers was there in 67 or 68. They go into concert, Hall of the Mountain King, starting with a way cool Contra solo (heard it on record many times previous). Just as he starts the solo, here comes the trains, and they last until Hold that Tiger is almost done. What a bummer and a disappointment. Hated that place before that, despised it afterwards.

God we had fun didn't we??