Favorite past competitions

Okay, from history, what competition sites did you enjoy?

I fondly remember the competitions at Bucknell hosted by the Keystoners. Lots of great competition there!! Great location, great facility and the big corps were always there!!!

Edited by drumzx

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, I always loved Bridgeport and Allentown

Ditto on Bucknell Steve, also the crowd was always pumped up and showed their appreciation. Place is kind of in the middle of nowhere but a great place to be.

Also liked the old Hollander/Aquinas Stadium in Rochester, NY. Only there for one show other than DCAs but the place was still packed.

Bucknell is back and i cant wait. I loved Cumberland MD and Carlisle

Cumberland was great too

Ditto on Bucknell Steve, also the crowd was always pumped up and showed their appreciation. Place is kind of in the middle of nowhere but a great place to be.

Also liked the old Hollander/Aquinas Stadium in Rochester, NY. Only there for one show other than DCAs but the place was still packed.

I wasn't all that fond of Aquinas. . .but one of my fonder memories is from there. Leaving the parking lot on the bus after a Templin tirade, tape player smashing. . .and the poop de gras. . .pulling the plug on the dumper as we were leaving the parking lot! :P

I have some fond memories of The Dream and the March of Champions (???). Wasn't that the Yankee-Rebel competition at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore? Cool place to compete.

And one of the neatest places I ever marched was at American Legion Nationals in New Orleans. The Superdome is a wild place to perform!!

Edited by drumzx

Two shows stand out - The Dream and the March of Champions in Baltimore. Both shows had large, knowledgable and enthusiastic crowds who really got into the performances.

Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, however was, shall we say, "trying" at best to march on. The curvature of the stands along the front sideline made maintaining straight lines and fronts nigh onto impossible! In spite of all warnings, one's eyes gravitated to the stands. Some of the best marching corps I ever saw had a tough time there.

Ray

I wasn't all that fond of Aquinas. . .but one of my fonder memories is from there.  Leaving the parking lot on the bus after a Templin tirade, tape player smashing. . .and the poop de gras. . .pulling the plug on the dumper as we were leaving the parking lot! :P

I have some fond memories of The Dream and the March of Champions (???).  Wasn't that the Yankee-Rebel competition at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore?  Cool place to compete.

And one of the neatest places I ever marched was at American Legion Nationals in New Orleans.  The Superdome is a wild place to perform!!

Let's see... in order

1) Heard about the pooper story. Was that Howie or George saying "Oh darn I hit the wrong button" followed by the foot hitting the gas pedal.

2) Don't know how I forgot about Memorial in '75(?). Think that's where the beer and hot dog vendors could be heard on the judges tapes. (Followed by the judge swearing at said venders.)

Ray: Don't forget the pitchers mound throwing off the lines also.

3) I didn't like the SuperDome 'cause of the way sound bounced around. Still remember first time going backfield the echo throw me and I had to watch feet to stay in sych. After that scare I must have gotten used to it.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Jim, I said the neatest place was the Superdome. . .not the best. . . :rolleyes: It definitely was a echo chamber but the site was so overwhelming in its imensity that it was just too cool to be on that carpet to perform.

Ray, agree with how the crowds got into the competitions at both the Dream and March Of Champions. . .truly knowledgeable crowds. But I didn't like the Dream when they moved it to the Meadowlands. That stadium was so big that large crowds seemed so small and far away.