Favorite past competitions

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime we played at J Birney Crum was great

• 1 month later...

favorites were the dream, and believe it or not, wildwood, NJ-might have been a crap field, but some great memories(and great times)

Indeed Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium always seemed to be old and decrepit, but it was one of the bastions of great DC shows. The acoustics were perfect. The Dream was a highlight of every season. But don't forget the Preview of Champions held in May of each year by St Pat's. True it was early season and the corps were still just getting it all together at that point in the season, but they always brought in talent few other shows gathered on the field ( senior/corp combo ) excepting the Dream and the AM Legion. Corps like Les Dips, Cavaliers, Jolly Jesters, Syracuse Brigs, Toronto Optimists usually made their only NY/NJ appearances of the year in the early 60's- late 50's.

For those who marched in Jersey in those years, another great venue for shows was the other Roosevelt Stadium in Union City. Small (6-8k) , but the stands were close to the field. Some great shows were held there with the annual July 4th celebration being a highlight of every competition year for the likes of BS, Garfield, St Lucy's St Pat's, SKEK, Woodsiders, Muchachos etc. The show was free admission so they always packed the stands. This site also had one of the closing shows of each year in Sept - the PBA. This one holds a great memory for me as in 64 - we beat BS and Garfield for our only win over those corps - ever.

Worst Jersey venue from a marching perspective - Wildwood Field and the NJ AM Legion and VFW shows - it was a test marching on a field which was a mixture of short tough grass and sand - like marching on a beach in spots.

Outside of NJ - I concur with one of the posters above re: CNE in Toronto - always a big, appreciative crowd and great acoustics.

Edited by coloradocorp

Holleder (Aquinas) stadium in Rochester - not only for the many DCA Championships held there, but for the regular season shows as well. Year after year of great competition and history being made there. Most vivid memories are from 1975 - the weather, Sky winning, Phoenix storming onto the scene.

Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City - I marched my first DCA Championship show there in 1972 and learned first-hand about local fan behavior in support of Sky and Cabs - welcome to DCA, kid. What a night - Bucs, Hurcs and Crusaders challenging Sky and Cabs for top spot - controversy, passionate performances, intensity - first trip to the big dance as a player.

Erie PA - Veterans Stadium (Academy High School) - the old home town - my first ever field show in 1966 (I think '66 Brigs drum line was bigger than our entire corps) - scene of many great RCA Championship shows over the years - many, many corps used to travel there for RCA. Still the scene of drum corps shows after all these years.

Finally, my personal favorite - an obscure parking lot in Scranton at midnight in 2002 playing with the Mini-Corps Championship Thunderbirds - the guys that showed my how to just win it.

Indeed Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium always seemed to be old and decrepit, but it was one of the bastions of great DC shows.  The acoustics were perfect.  The Dream was a highlight of every season.  But don't forget the Preview of Champions held in May of each year by St Pat's.  True it was early season and the corps were still just getting it all together at that point in the season, but they always brought in talent few other shows gathered on the field ( senior/corp combo ) excepting the Dream and the AM Legion. Corps like Les Dips, Cavaliers, Jolly Jesters, Syracuse Brigs, Toronto Optimists usually made their only NY/NJ appearances of the year in the early 60's- late 50's.

For those who marched in Jersey in those years, another great venue for shows was the other Roosevelt Stadium in Union City.  Small (6-8k) , but the stands were close to the field.  Some great shows were held there with the annual July 4th celebration being a highlight of every competition year for the likes of BS, Garfield, St Lucy's St Pat's, SKEK, Woodsiders, Muchachos etc.  The show was free admission so they always packed the stands. This site also had one of the closing shows of each year in Sept - the PBA.  This one holds a great memory for me as in 64 - we beat BS and Garfield for our only win over those corps - ever.

Worst Jersey venue from a marching perspective - Wildwood Field and the NJ AM Legion and VFW shows -  it was a test marching on a field which was a mixture of short tough grass and sand - like marching on a beach in spots.

Outside of NJ - I concur with one of the posters above re: CNE in Toronto - always a big, appreciative crowd and great acoustics.

Yeah, wildwood had a horrible field, but it was always a great show-and man the parties-some great memories.

Yeah, wildwood had a horrible field, but it was always a great show-and man the parties-some great memories.

Correct on that point. The post show parade was one of the few parades I really enjoyed marching in - especially when passing by those Irish pubs.

• 2 weeks later...
Correct on that point.  The post show parade was one of the few parades I really enjoyed marching in - especially when passing by those Irish pubs.

Kelly's was a personal favorite......... many corps stopped and "serenaded " the crowd in front of kelly's. always remember bucky swan holding court there.... :)