Favorite past competitions

Jim, I said the neatest place was the Superdome. . .not the best. . . :rolleyes: It definitely was a echo chamber but the site was so overwhelming in its imensity that it was just too cool to be on that carpet to perform.

No argument there buddy. Still remember when we went inside the SuperDome a day or two before the show just to check it out. Bruce Bolich (former Keystoner I believe :) ) kept tilting his head back to check out the ceiling and almost went on his back. The joint was so big he lost track of how far back he was leaning and lost his balance. b**bs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super Dome was a blast if for no other reason than the trip down and back. We did the exibition at a Saints game, that's why we were in there early to rehearse. I remember Danny M and me sitting on the artificial turf while the rest of the corps worked on drill. I looked down and noticed a seam. I lifted it up and found a zipper which Danny and I proceeded to unzip to see what was under it. We had about 30 feet undone when the custodians came out and asked us not to do that.

March of Champions was great because director George Bull and staff had a most excellent marketing plan. You usually had the top 5 DCA corps as headliners and the crowd came from all up and down the east coast. I remember Hamilton Post had a pic on the wall of a company front with the front line of the drum line standing on the pitchers mound. You had this big "hump" in the middle of the drill. We paid our entire bill for the year from that show. Memorial stadium is now used as a high school/college field unless they tore it down since I left.

Bucknell will always be dear because that's where the "underwear walk" started. We thought we were going to get rained out and we were all sitting in our cars to hear if the show would be called. I had the "Baltimore Crowd" in my van and I put a call out on the CB for anyone with the guts to come and meet me on the parking lot in their underwear and we'd do a walk. Must have been 15-20 of us and we marched around to the cheers of the other cars. Then Larry comes and says we're going to compete anyway....what a bummer:<(

Super Dome was a blast if for no other reason than the trip down and back. We did the exibition at a Saints game, that's why we were in there early to rehearse. I remember Danny M and me sitting on the artificial turf while the rest of the corps worked on drill. I looked down and noticed a seam. I lifted it up and found a zipper which Danny and I proceeded to unzip to see what was under it. We had about 30 feet undone when the custodians came out and asked us not to do that.

Forgot we did the Pre-Game show. The Saints wanted us to do the Halftime show but Hershman told 'em "##### that, it would cut into our Party Time on Bourbon Street". ^0^

Some of my personal faves during my marching years:

Providence, RI: For whatever reason, we just about owned that show the years I marched with Sunrisers. The crowd was always fired up... very responsive.

Bridgeport: Outstanding drum corps stadium.

Allentown: Sun won its first four DCA titles at J. Birney Crum.

Roosevelt Stadium: THE DREAM!!!!! Run-down stadium but a great, great show and crowd. And those chili dogs from the hot-dog vendors in the parking lot.... tasty!!!

Hamden, CT: Site of the Fresh Air Fanfare, an early-season show (back in the days when "early season" meant just after Memorial Day). Cool stadium!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Steve and Jim,

Don't know how, but I completely blocked out that pitcher's mound from my memory. Thanks. A friend of mine came to the show one year just to take a bunch of photos. He must have been 'locked in' to that thing. Every shot of a corps coming off the line has them 'humping' over that d... thing. Jeez, you would have thought the Orioles wouldn't have missed it for a day or so!

As for the Dream, let me clarify--- THE DREAM at Roosevelt Stadium. That was the Dream; at least in my mind. "Often imitated, never duplicated." as they used to advertise it.

After watching that show for many years in the stands, the first time I walked through that outfield gate to the starting line, WOW. The only show where I really ever got nervous while standing on the starting line. As soon as we kicked off, got down to the business at hand. What a rush being on THAT field.

Ray/Fran. . .yes Roosevelt Stadium. I couldn't remember the site but you both hit the drum on the head!! THAT was THE DREAM and it had an aura about it that couldn't be explained. It always felt electric.

Fran, I think I marched the Fresh Air Fanfare maybe twice. . .probably once. Really liked it there but I marched with Westshore for a lot of years before we were considered Fresh Air worthy. I did enjoy my trip to Ct. for that one.

Ray/Jim, I don't understand the problem with the pitcher's mound at the March Of Champions. We percussionists never had to worry about that pitcher's mound. . . :D

Great sites. . .great competitions!

"Fave Past Contests":

Bridgeport Connecticut. Home of the annual "Parade of Champions" senior corps contest conducted by the Barnum Festival. The venue for the show, John F Kennedy Stadium at Central HS has been completly renovated and is a FANTASTIC place to hold a drum corps competition.

The Bridgeport drum corps fans are pretty discerning, and quite "With It" as far as the activity goes. The "Park City" was at one time 'home' to something like 15 junior drum corps in the 1960s (Many of whose alumni are "Doing It One More Time" in the 2004 Reunion Corps) and a great many contests including the 1964 & 65 World Open Championships and the 1966 & 67 DCA title shows have been held there.

Elphaba

Some of my personal faves during my marching years:

Providence, RI: For whatever reason, we just about owned that show the years I marched with Sunrisers. The crowd was always fired up... very responsive.

Bridgeport: Outstanding drum corps stadium.

Allentown: Sun won its first four DCA titles at J. Birney Crum.

Roosevelt Stadium: THE DREAM!!!!! Run-down stadium but a great, great show and crowd. And those chili dogs from the hot-dog vendors in the parking lot.... tasty!!!

Hamden, CT: Site of the Fresh Air Fanfare, an early-season show (back in the days when "early season" meant just after Memorial Day). Cool stadium!!

Fran

Fran you stole my thunder. Providence, Bridgeport were always great for us but you forgot Boston. Remember we won our first show there in 81 and always did well there.

About Roosevelt Stadium, I will never forget that place. I saw my very first show there. 66 Dream. Sac upsettting Cavaliers, Troopers, Boston, god what a way to start.

I also had my first illegal underage drink at Roosevelt when I was 15, 1970 Dream....lol

Oscar