1985 Phantom

I am listening to this show right now and it is my favorite Phantom show, and what I believe to be the most difficult brass book ever attempted. This show is awesome start to finish and insanely difficult...why does no one talk about it?

I saw the show live. I liked the show but I'm just not a real Phantom Fan. I like the presence and power the Scouts, Cavaliers and the Blue Devils projected. :huh:

I'm not bashing them, Phantom is a real good Drum Corps. Classical just doesn't keep my attention. :blink:

Does that make me shallow? Probably.

The power they put out in their closer is amazing, but it's a show from a time when they, as a corps, were in a bit of a downward swing and their winter program wasn't quite as strong as some of the corps around them.

I LOVED THIS SHOW!!!

This was the first show that ever made me go out and buy the original piece on CD so I could hear the whole thing.

Has to be one of the most under-appreciated shows in DCI finals history

I am listening to this show right now and it is my favorite Phantom show, and what I believe to be the most difficult brass book ever attempted. This show is awesome start to finish and insanely difficult...why does no one talk about it?

I rather enjoy that show. Berlioz is fantastic. Most difficult brass book ever attempted? Hmm...never thought about it, really. I'll have to go home and watch it again.

Might have been ahead of its time. Sort of like Spartacus was ahead of its time.

I've been liking the 1980 show a lot recently. Love that opener.

It was a pleasure for me to watch this show mature over the summer of '85. We beat Phantom in brass right out of the gate that summer and watched them struggle with the difficulty of their show during first tour. Once they broke through the wall, it was great to see them really make this show a strong contender. Given another week, they probably would've taken it further.

Edited by StarContra4-85

I dont remember Star beating Phantom in 85...but it was 19 years ago. Guess I'll have to pull out the old DCW's.

~G~

Sorry,

We beat Phantom and Cavaliers in Brass in Normal, Illinois. We were third overall that night. I'll edit the post.

BTW, do those other captions really matter? :rolleyes:

Edited by StarContra4-85

This definitely one of my favorite Phantom shows...especially the ending...raw power and energy.....I remember seeing them a few times that summer...and I must admit that as impressed as I was with them musically, I was not impressed with them visually (drill) and I do think it was one of their weaker guards...but that hornline,,,,wow!