What ever happened to the Geneseo Knights?

The last time I saw them, I thought they were a solid group with the Knights Inn Motel sponsorship. What happened to make Geneseo go away? :blink:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...1983 Knights were the BEST!!!! I love their closer/reentry!!! MAN that is exciting stuff...

I marched in the Geneseo Knights from '85-'87 then went on to the Cavaliers. I think a big part of the Knights demise was a lack support in Geneseo, which had, and probably still does, a very strong musical program in its high school. There were only a hand full of us actually from Geneseo that marched and we couldn't recruit anyone from the high school level. Also, the Knights didn't have the best repution in Geneseo. Any one who's been there knows that it's a very small town and these "unruly" Knights folks were trouble in the eyes of the town. I also think the Knights staff also made critical mistakes in the eyes of DCI in the early-mid '80's that didn't help their cause too much either.

When I marched in the Cavaliers, the Knights became known as "the Cavalier feeder corps" due to the fact that a lot of us that marched in the Knights ultimately ended up in Rosemont. I think a lot of us left out of frustration. Several others ended up going to Phantom, Garfield and SCV during that same time.

Sometime, listen to the '85 Knight rendition of Jesus Christ Superstar. That show is one of the all time best drum corps productions. And we did it with 35 horns!! Great show, it still gives me goosebumps listening to that one...

Man, it didn't sound like 35 horns. I remember hearing the show from outside the stadium as we were getting ready to perform. :blink: I thought you had almost a full corps.

I was lucky enough to find the Knights, thanks to a friend in band, in the fall of 1978. I learned how to drum in the back room of Ken's Skelly Station. I thought Geneseo was a pretty cool place, although I thought it strange that the town would want to push a corps like that out. As soon as we had some African-American kids in the corps, the police slammed a curfew on us. Some drunk guy hit the back of my car, and police tried to tell me it was MY fault! Ah, the famous (infamous) Geneseo Police Department! And the Quad Cities, where I was from, is just about as culturally dead as you can get. If the Knights had been a baseball team, or a soccer team, they'd probably still be around. I knew they were dead the minute they moved to the Q.C. As my sister-in-law always says, "It's a nice place to be FROM." I still go back to Geneseo once in awhile, sit on the hill at Richmond Hill Park, and remember the great days I had in that corps. The experience really turned my life around.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04

?????, '05

So...since you show in your signature that you marched in 1983, need to ask the all important question. In the reentry portion of your show when you start to do--hang on--going to corpsrep.com...be right back...

OK...when you come out of the ballad and into the Camelot thingee "The Joust", and JUST before you start to do a recapitulation of "Russlan", somebody yells at the top of his lungs on the recording...

PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

WHO WAS THAT? Was that your drum major? Or a staff member? I used to play that for my mom and dad BEFORE I ever joined VK, and told them it was probably the drum major hyping. WE LOVED listening to that.

And then the ending big fat chords...and the drums wrapping it all up for those last 4 counts. MAN!!

It made a big impression on me as a high schooler back in the day!

The last time I saw them, I thought they were a solid group with the Knights Inn Motel sponsorship. What happened to make Geneseo go away? :rolleyes:

"Even the Knights are better..." remember those days?

And dont forget Ryan, during that re-entry of "Joust" the corps forms a Knights helmet on the field. I love watching that show, actualy I hate watching it....it makes me sick still thinking of how they should have been higher........1983 Knights, one of my favorite shows of all time, Knights, one of my favorite corps of all time.

~G~

I'd have to agree. I loved '83 Knights!!!