Plymouth, MI review

some info you might not know:

Pioneer's guard uniform is changing. It will be a big improvement over what they're wearing now (one of my favorite comments about it was "it looks like someone censored out their breasts!")

Cavaliers' "real" ending will be in soon (For Your Eyes Only is just a tacked on ending and yes it is abrupt and anti-climactic).

I made the comment about the Pioneer guard as looking like orange construction barrels. :lolhit:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have to complain about from the get go is the signs that were out in front of the school guiding everyone where to park for the "band show."  For as long as Plymouth Canton has had an excellent competitive marching band program and for as many students they have sent off to march corps the booster really should have known better.

Without having seen them, I'd bet they were simply saving money by using the signs they use for their fall marching band show.

It may not have been the term you wanted to see, but I bet everybody knew where to park, right?

G

GREAT review, the best of the season so far to me! THANKS!

I just want to add the Mad and Cavies really need to do something with regards to thier endings.  I don't know if they don't have the show done yet or what but they left me empty.  It was not a big punch nor did it have the soft ballad release. 

I was not at the show last night, but at Menomonie and Mankato, the Scouts had the crowd on their feet well before they cut off their last note.

Their final 24 counts (don't hold me to that) was a build up of their powerful final chord with the drumline adding all the punches. The crowds at both shows loved it and showed their appreciation with a standing ovation before the show was over!

I know part of the problem is that the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park football stadium has very, I repeat very poor, acoustics. The wind was coming from the west (stands to field) pushing the sound back so even fff didn't sound much louder than f. The same problem occured in '91 when DCI North moved from Ypsilanti to Canton.

Without having seen them, I'd bet they were simply saving money by using the signs they use for their fall marching band show.

It may not have been the term you wanted to see, but I bet everybody knew where to park, right?

G

I was thinking the same thing initially but this is a program that has more money than most Div 1 corps out there. I don't think that they would be hurting to have a couple new signs painted up. The signs were old and hand painted on plywood anyhow. But that is just a minor beef with a great show. I don't want to get hung up on that point.

Edited by MagicAlto99

I just want to add the Mad and Cavies really need to do something with regards to thier endings.  I don't know if they don't have the show done yet or what but they left me empty.  It was not a big punch nor did it have the soft ballad release. 

I was not at the show last night, but at Menomonie and Mankato, the Scouts had the crowd on their feet well before they cut off their last note.

Their final 24 counts (don't hold me to that) was a build up of their powerful final chord with the drumline adding all the punches. The crowds at both shows loved it and showed their appreciation with a standing ovation before the show was over!

It's 24 counts... :)

It is always windy at that stadium. Projection is always a problem even for bands that have 200 plus people.

Cavaliers' "real" ending will be in soon (For Your Eyes Only is just a tacked on ending and yes it is abrupt and anti-climactic).

Yep. They are working on it but in the mean time it doesn't seem to be hurting them at this point. I admit, it will once they bump up against BD and SCV. I suspect that they will develop an ending as they go along then come up with something for finals weeks that is different. I didn't mind the ending last year. IMHO, a corp doesn't need to blow the stands down on their final note. Don't get me wrong, I love a face peel like anyone else, I am just saying as long as the corp entertains the first 12 minutes then the ending doesn't need to be a park and blow.

Edited by dc oldtimer