i just watched star 93

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star '93 was incredible. I got to see portions of their show a lot on tour that year. It went from "I can't believe they are doing this" to "This is incredible." I really wish they had stayed around after that. I have missed them greatly. 1990 was my favorite year for Star, but '91 - '93 were still incredible performances.

I think that if the Star '93 show would have been done in later years, drum corps would be behind a few years. the design of that show alone changed the face of drillwriting and drum corps entertainment as a whole.

Thanks

Flint Weed

Euphonium

SCV '02

As much as I learned to like Star 93, the correct corps won that night.  The Cadets were better. :silly:  Absolutely beautiful, and it had one of the best ballads/hymns ever.

I felt Star 91 was vastly superior to 93.

Well, '91 was certainly superior, IMO, in terms of drill design (the great Zingali's last opus) and one inhuman line of mellophones :silly:

It's hard for me to compare the two years because Star '91 was the very first DCI show I ever saw....special place in my heart because of that.

Since this started out about 93 Star I can give you personal obsevations of the crowds response. I saw at least a half a dozen shows from Minnisota to Texas. Never did the crowd go wild! Polite applause was the norm.

That show is the litmus test for drum corps fans. Its like the red and blue state debate that we are about to get bombarded with from now til the election in November. People either hated Star or they loved them. I was in the loved it crowd and I can tell you for certain that I was in the vast minority.

When I stood up to cheer I was like the guy with the Miami Dolphins Jersey surrounded by NY Jets fans in the TV commercial for ?????? ( I can't remember). I was a lone "Wooooo!!!" surrounded by a sea of "huuuhhhh???"

And I gaurantee that everybody else that recognized what we were seeing like I did felt the same way. "keep your adoration to yourself, you heathen!" That's what I felt from everyone around me.

To quote the Men on Film: "Hated it!"

There are actually a couple of moments from that show I do like. The last two minutes, and THE roll in the snares.

For me '90 was Star's best show. Exciting from begining to end.

Hmmmm ... I really don't think DCI is in the music education business, really.  Sure, young people learn a lot about life, but they don't really get much of an education, in the formal sense of the word.  Being trained to play eleven minutes of music in a particular way and to march eleven minutes of drill is hardly equivalent to taking a music theory class.  Learning to play a horn and learning about music are two different things.  And I don't see where a good rock or jazz or "Latin" show is of any less value, musically speaking, than a symphonic show.  Of course, this is all pretty much off topic. 

P.S.  I love Star '93, but let's not overdo things here.

Hey Orpheus, I agree with you. I guess I meant education in a more general/figurative sense. What I mean is I think that drum corps is for and about the kids first and with the audience a close second. Without either, there is no DCI of course. I was trying to rebut the point that everything has to cater to the audience and their expectations first...I think it would be absurd to poll drum corps fans for the music they want performed...else we never evolve... I think it's important to lead the audience somewhere...sometimes that's off a cliff other times it's up to a mountain top...that's the risk.

Edited by Medeabrass

Yeah, I don't think the audience would ever have voted for a show that was supposed to bring emotions like :silly: to the field. "Why don't you guys do sumthin' that'll just P*$$ me off?!?" :silly:

I think that there is a fine line between pandering to the crowd and taking them further down the road. That's part of the reason that this show was ahead of its time, it walked the line. :silly:

Edited by StarContra4-85

If you look at Cooks memoirs on the star website, it says that 93s show was supposed to make the audience feel anger and hate,,,, it was supposed to move them,,, yea,, mayeb they didn't clap alot durring the program, but if the show was supposed to entail the audience to get a lil mad, would you clap?