i just watched star 93

Why didn't he? The show was way too angry!!

I've read that that was the whole intent behind it. And, from this RAMD posting:

[Jim Mason] did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting.  Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance.

So, like it or not, they essentially accomplished what they set out to do. Earlier in the article, it says that Star's '92 show was designed for broad appeal, yet got a hostile response from the audience. So the '93 show was Jim Mason's "revenge"; the last thing he wanted was for it to be accessible to the audience.

That sounds a little like what Downey did when he came out with Bird and Bela the year after the judges crucified Tommy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't he? The show was way too angry!!

I've read that that was the whole intent behind it.

Well, they were playing "Medea." It's hard to play that piece and not sound angry. Their arrangement was very faithful to the original.

[Jim Mason] did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting.  Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance.

So, like it or not, they essentially accomplished what they set out to do. Earlier in the article, it says that Star's '92 show was designed for broad appeal, yet got a hostile response from the audience. So the '93 show was Jim Mason's "revenge"; the last thing he wanted was for it to be accessible to the audience.

Guess he missed out on that one then. Not only did they get a pretty good crowd response (at least, the one time I saw them that season and at finals, judging by the reaction you can hear on the video), but it's become one of the most highly respected shows of all time. B)

. . . but it's become one of the most highly respected shows of all time.

The thing is, that opinion has developed over time. It certainly wasn't the case for many people at the time. I remember a pretty hostile response to that show. So, at the time, he got it right, but as time has progressed, overall opinion has shifted to a much more favorable response.

. . . but it's become one of the most highly respected shows of all time.

The thing is, that opinion has developed over time. It certainly wasn't the case for many people at the time. I remember a pretty hostile response to that show. So, at the time, he got it right, but as time has progressed, overall opinion has shifted to a much more favorable response.

Correct Sue, many times things only appear good in retrospect, like for example 1978 Madison Scouts, who should have won DCI!! B)

Its a common occurrence, and one of my all time pet peeves, the habit of people in practically all areas to judge the past using a contemporary sensibility.

Woobie,

Regarding the '93 show and the kids' performance quality therein....

I have just one thing to say....

:worthy:

Star of Indiana's 1993 show was spectacular on every level. It should have won, in my opinion.

I agree. I was the only one in my circle of friends who, after watching the show, felt it should've won. I think for many of the people I knew at that time, the show was too esoteric and inaccessible. But for me, it was the only Star show I ever actually liked, I guess because it was so strong in character from start to finish.

And I think it was their best guard ever, as well. That probably had something to do with my opinion of it, too. :)

Woobie,

Regarding the '93 show and the kids' performance quality therein....

I have just one thing to say....

Hey thanks!

We all appreciate seeing the wonderful comments about that show.

Thanks for keeping that show alive!

:)

Correct Sue, many times things only appear good in retrospect

well - put me down as one of the rare birds who "got it" at the time. I saw it first in OH or IN - about two or three weeks into the season - and Star was on a dry football field - so it was dusty - and they had black gloves on and it was the first performance in the new unis -- all white and black flags at that point. At performance time the sun was setting directly behind the corps - so the entire corps was "back lit" and looked liked shadows - really wierd. Anyway - I watched / and I listened. At the end I thought to myself "I've never seen anything like that -when do I get to see it again". Needless to say - they won the show. Matt the DM came up to conduct the concert and I was right on the fifty. He stood right beside my girlfriend in the aisle -- to this day I have never seen anything more focused and fantastic than him conducting that incredible score.

Edited by George