i just watched star 93

Great show.  I loved it more than I did Cadet's.  To bad Glassmen are 10 years behind the curve in regards to shows like this.

Actually, I thought Glassmen were one of the first to implement certain Star 93isms into their show back in um..........94 or 95.

Actually, we started incorporating dance into our shows in '93. We just picked the wrong year and got overshadowed. :D

I remember myself and a couple other hornline members during a lunch break somewhere on tour. We weren't happy about the addition of the dance moves during the drum solo and were having our own little ##### session. One of the visual staff members heard us and told us we needed to have an open mind about this.

All I know is that, during the 5 years I marched, NOBODY I talked to gave a positive comment about the dance and movement we put in our show. When I show friends and family our '95 video, which was a very good year for the corps, the comments I get most of all were about the wierd movements we were doing on the field. They were not referring to the drill...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said classical music was boring. In fact I find much of it is exciting and wonderful when translated to the DC enviorment. The current SCV show is a perfect example! In fact go back over thirty years and listen to 73 SCV's opener. However in todays enviorment it seems the more obscure the better. The charts seem to picked not on their overall public appeal, but only if they appeal to the music majors. Most of it sounds as if it came out of technique books. Lots of difficult runs, very little melody... in other words BORING! If DC ever wants to grow, ( I'll wager there are no more fans today than there were thirty years ago. Maybe less.), it needs to realize that it is in the entertainment business.

Never said classical music was boring. In fact I find much of it is exciting and wonderful when translated to the DC enviorment. The current SCV show is a perfect example! In fact go back over thirty years and listen to 73 SCV's opener. However in todays enviorment it seems the more obscure the better. The charts seem to picked not on their overall public appeal, but only if they appeal to the music majors. Most of it sounds as if it came out of technique books. Lots of difficult runs, very little melody... in other words BORING! If DC ever wants to grow, ( I'll wager there are no more fans today than there were thirty years ago. Maybe less.), it needs to realize that it is in the entertainment business.

All the recordings I've heard of all this estoteric music, there's still thousands of cheering people in the stands. If the music were that over the top, would they even bother?

Since this started out about 93 Star I can give you personal obsevations of the crowds response. I saw at least a half a dozen shows from Minnisota to Texas. Never did the crowd go wild! Polite applause was the norm.

Since this started out about 93 Star I can give you personal obsevations of the crowds response. I saw at least a half a dozen shows from Minnisota to Texas. Never did the crowd go wild! Polite applause was the norm.

That's not what I saw at all, and I was there for quarters, semis, and finals.

Star '93 blew me away. I've never felt such raw emotion come from a corps as I did in their finals performance.

Glassmen 94...word! How bout them orange balls?? ;) Anyway, in regard to Star 93, I was perplexed when I saw it. (Saw it at my first drum corps show ever!) However, once I taped finals, I couldn't stop watching it! :) There are so many subtleties in the show you have to watch it many times to take it all in. Plus, if you know what the piece is about, that'll help you appreciate it more.

Why didn't he? The show was way too angry!!

I've read that that was the whole intent behind it. And, from this RAMD posting:

[Jim Mason] did not want visuals to detract from the drill or body sculpting; the music was to be arranged to enrage and anger. It was not supposed to be sweet and lilting.  Suffice it to say, the audience responded properly but the raw discordant sound grated on me at the beginning of the season--I was irritated after each performance.

So, like it or not, they essentially accomplished what they set out to do. Earlier in the article, it says that Star's '92 show was designed for broad appeal, yet got a hostile response from the audience. So the '93 show was Jim Mason's "revenge"; the last thing he wanted was for it to be accessible to the audience.