Kalamazoo Show

OMG !!! b**bs  b**bs  b**bs  :silly:  :P  ^0^  b**bs  LOL LOL LOL

The BAC-borg is gonna have a field day with this......but hey, he's wrong, he doesnt know what he's tlaking about or he has a beef with Boston....uh-huh !! LOL

~G~

BRAVO!!!!!! I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE BAC fan, but I seriously hope they have their lowest placement in years because maybe this #### won't make it back to the field next year. What a HORRIBLE idea!

Thanx for the great review...I think you should email your comments to BAC!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, it would be helpful if reviews would have complete sentences. That makes them easier to read

My reading comprehension is not the best in the world, yet I've had no problem reading any review.

Second, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, I have little interest in taking someone seriously who goes to the concession stand during one corps, and the restroom in another -- and then tries to tell me how good or bad they are.

Why do you think some people go to the concession stand or restroom during some corps' performance? Could it be that corps X show is so dull to the point that not only does it fail to keep a spectators' interest, it drives them away? The above quoted sounds like you expect everybody to stay in their seats for every corps.

the kids and staffs are out there busting their humps to try and maximize their shows -- and yes, entertain too! They do 10 to 15-hour practice days a lot of the time. These talented people deserve more appreciation than criticism

Once again, no one on here has ever criticized the kids. It's the product of the "creative" staff that some of us have issue with.

They do 10 to 15-hour practice days a lot of the time . . . This isn't professional sports and they're not getting paid tons of money to perform. In fact, they're paying for the privilege to toil and sweat and make the best field shows in the world!

Drum corps members practice 10 to 15 hours a day? Wow! I didn't know that. I'll bet a lot of other peopl on this forum were not aware of that fact either. None of us has ever been in any way connected with the drum corps activity.

But I, for one, would like to read a review from somebody who appreciates the kids and people in the activity

We do appreciate the kids. Some of us just feel sorry for them having to perform such entertainment deficient shows.

My reading comprehension is not the best in the world, yet I've had no problem reading any review.

Complete sentences just help provide clarity to your thoughts. I guess it's kind of like comparing a "fan friendly" show to an "abstract" show.

Why do you think some people go to the concession stand or restroom during some corps' performance? Could it be that corps X show is so dull to the point that not only does it fail to keep a spectators' interest, it drives them away? The above quoted sounds like you expect everybody to stay in their seats for every corps..

It's generally announced at shows that it's poor conduct to get up "in the middle" of someone's show to go anywhere. It certainly shows disrespect to the kids. I wonder how the people behind feel when someone gets up "during" a show -- particularly when those people may actually be enjoying that show. Something to think about -- particularly since it's not much to ask to stay seated for 10-12 minutes.

Once again, no one on here has ever criticized the kids. It's the product of the "creative" staff that some of us have issue with.

It appears to me that the products "most in question" from the creative staffs seem to be doing quite well actually. Boston is scoring in the lows 80s -- pretty good for this time of year. So is Crown. And while the Glassmen are once again fighting for a finals' spot, they're in contention. So, I'm guessing that the creative teams haven't done that poorly. In my book, any corps that's in contention for DCI finals is a very good drums corps. I realize, others may have a different view.

Drum corps members practice 10 to 15 hours a day? Wow! I didn't know that. I'll bet a lot of other peopl on this forum were not aware of that fact either. None of us has ever been in any way connected with the drum corps activity.

Correct. However, it's probably good to reminded of that from time to time, before we're ready to be so critical.

We do appreciate the kids. Some of us just feel sorry for them having to perform such entertainment deficient shows.

The biggest penalty for corps with "entertainment deficient" shows are that they plummet in the competitive ranks, and eventually start stuggling with recruiting. That's when they need your sympathy.

Remember, what's one man's entertainment is another man's garbage. If memory serves, the highest scoring show in DCI history -- the 2002 Cavaliers -- had quite a mixed "opinion" among fans and reviewers. In the end, I guess they didn't need much sympathy.

Edited by Mike Ferlazzo

Hmmm,,,

I didn't know what I was getten into I guess. But ,alas I am not getting into it ,except for this last post. I never read posts in Planet before , but last night I did a search and happed upon it , registered ,,and decided to post a note about K-zoo.

Anyway ,,I read some of the stuff about my post ,,and it seems that honesty hasnt been a subject , or has been a sore subject about reviews in the past.

Just to say,,,I stand up and clap and yell for EVERY corps, exclude none. I clap for the kids , busting their humps,,,(I did it for 9 years), but not necessarily the shows. Do the kids ,( young adults) now put the show together ,pick the music, write the drill,,AND decide about whether AMPS are to be used or not ,,and how to use them?? Don't think so. So, i guess I'm bummen the directors choices and whoever else is involved with the show type, and their decisions, not the young men and women in the corps. Is that SO #### hard to figure out?? If I wanted to dish the kids out there, I'd be yellen ,,,hey you on the second bass drum from the left,, "hit the #### thing harder" ,,CAN'T HEAR YOU. Or Miss sabre,,yeah YOU missy,,another drop and you're outta here. lol..got myself laughen now,,can you imagine if that happened :( Anyway, I just thought I'd write what I saw, heard, and felt, from a laymans point of view, and thats all there was to it. Not going to anymore shows ,thats why not posting again. Have fun. I mean ,,,HAVE FUN,,,,amplified don't yah know. Workenstiff

I'm sorry.....

I wasn't aware that it was impossible to appreciate the hard work that the kids do day in and day out yet point out problems with the performance or show design in a review.... <**>

I'm also sorry to say that this will be a deficiency I will display should I choose to post a review of the finals next month. <_<

Can we cut the "warm, fuzzy feeling" crap for once? We need people to be honest, otherwise, what in the h### is the point in posting a review?

I have yet to see anything that went too far on DCP. And, every single solitary one of you knows very well that George, Mike, and the rest would not tolerate something out-of-line being posted on their website.

I think nobody should be attacked on their reviews. It's only their opinion. Even posters here who like this review, should not be dismissive of those who may have a different take. Someone who is " honest " can be sometimes be misconstrued as " sugar coating " their review. When in reality, we don't know that at all. For the posters that like something, their review can be just as " honest " as those who totally dislike something. Plus, we can all draw solace that the judges could care less about these reviews, nor do show designers. Placements historically in DCI have very little correlation to this fan's enjoyment. Neither do other reviewers frankly. I know what I like and don't like. I don't need a judge nor another fan to tell me what I SHOULD like or not like. I don't presume to speak for other fans. Likewise, they don't speak for me. My point is that I enjoy all reviews and there is no need to attack any of the ones on this board.

I'm sorry.....

I wasn't aware that it was impossible to appreciate the hard work that the kids do day in and day out yet point out problems with the performance or show design in a review.... <**>

dont worry 90 % of the kids do not read these anyway. they are all hard at work traveling , practicing , riding the bus and touring.

My understanding is that DCI review section was set up for DCP members to give honest and informative feedback on shows they have attended, not to prop up the self esteem of the little hothouse flowers who populate DCI today.

Anyone who criticizes a reviewer for giving their honest opinion on the basis of the possibility of someone's little kid getting their feelings hurt should perhaps patronize some other area of DCP where candid comments are not valued.

Freedom of speech is sometimes messy, as we have witnessed daily in the OT Forums. Besides I think you are shortchanging the performers in DCI if you think the observations of has beens and never wases' like ourselves matter a bit to them. I certainly never went into suicidal depression over criticisms of my corps when I marched in DCI. (Of course there wasnt much of it! B) )