Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

Madison 1999 King Herod's Song, that guy has a nice lip trill

Crossmen 2001 dont know the song (towards the end, jazzy solo) that guy(girl) was tight

For a fantastic Bari solo check out the Govies at DCA. Ryan Shirk blasts out a solo through Night in Tunisia that's fantastic. This kid is just awesome on the Baritone! Tone, power and range. He's been the principal bari soloist for the Govies for a few years now.

Dennis Dewey was my HS Band Director (Brentwood HS) and I marched with him in the "81 LI Kingsmen. Does anyone have any info where he might be?

Last I heard, Dennis was teaching music at a school on Long Island.... but I don't remember the name of the school.

He was brass coordinator for the Sunrisers from 1980 through 1982....IMO, one of the two or three best brass instructors Sun has ever had.

Fran

Fran,

I have to agree with your earlier choices but can't forget Bob Gaff (St Kevin's, BS and YR),or Baby John (Privateers and BS). Also please consider the late Pat McCue ( Marksmen and Sky) played the bari triple tongue solo in 'Comes Love', '71 Sky and gotta give a mention of the late Sol Anthony (Loretto and Sky).

But, I would put Ruben up against anyone, right now, junior or senior or alumnus.

See you in Scranton.

Ray

Last I heard, Dennis was teaching music at a school on Long Island.... but I don't remember the name of the school.

He was brass coordinator for the Sunrisers from 1980 through 1982....IMO, one of the two or three best brass instructors Sun has ever had.

Fran