Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

:P

How many years in a row did Brian win I&E??   I thought I was going to go up against him in 02...but he was a no show even though his name was on the list.  So that didn't happen.

Brian would never play in front of me. I suppose he was intimidated by my greatness :P

no???

Edited by johnric

My votes:

1) Pooh Bear

2) Dave Carico was also part of that killer baritone duet in 81 Blue Devils.

3) Eric Shedin - 83 Blue Devils, 2004 Blue Devils Alumni and Friends CD

Special note on Eric. He's on the Blue Devils Alumni CD that was recorded last march (directed by Dave Carico). Trading blistering solos with Jeff Lynn and Adam Rapa on Everybody Loves the Blues...You have no idea how awesome it was to watch that. Particularly Adam and Eric just tearing it up.

4) The dude in 93 Blue Devils.

5) I always liked what Rick South did in 79 Vanguard.

Edited by bd5times

• 2 weeks later...

There's no doubt the kids today are amazing horn players. But it's nice to see some of us remember the "early days". Several pages back in this tread the name Billy Hightower came up. St. Catherines Queensmen from the early sixties. Get the record. Give a listen. Tone, control, range, showmanship. He was (is) simply the best.

I received a tape over the summer from a fellow BD Alumn of Blue Devil run throughs of the early 80's.

One tape has the first rendition of Everybody Loves the Blues on it. Back then, Wayne would write, re-write, re-work a tune constantly during the off season.

This cut is way different from the eventual arrangement of the season. The horn line is backed up by a set drummer. At any rate, there is no sop solo except at the end. Most of the tune is the horn line backing Eric up while he improvises. And he's just wailing!

In the middle of the tune is a small ensemble jamming away before leading to the final shout section.

Killer to hear this after all of these years. I completely forgot this arrangement. We had one volume level apparently at this rehearsal......really f*&*& loud!

The other gem on this tape is percussion run through of the 84 show prior to finals :angry:

Edited by bd5times