Best Baritone Soloists

Mahler

I don't know if this was on here yet but,

The Bari soloist in this year's Southwind show. He had a great tone. I love his solo.

SCV 99....great bari solo in the ballad

James Gerard

• 2 years later...
Don't know the guy's name -- Anaheim Kingsmen 1974 in the middle of Artistry in Rhythm. Pure tone, great projection. The solo was short but oh so sweet!

Steve Beard

Edited by GuyW

My votes:

1) Pooh Bear

2) Dave Carico was also part of that killer baritone duet in 81 Blue Devils.

3) Eric Shedin - 83 Blue Devils, 2004 Blue Devils Alumni and Friends CD

Special note on Eric. He's on the Blue Devils Alumni CD that was recorded last march (directed by Dave Carico). Trading blistering solos with Jeff Lynn and Adam Rapa on Everybody Loves the Blues...You have no idea how awesome it was to watch that. Particularly Adam and Eric just tearing it up.

4) The dude in 93 Blue Devils.

5) I always liked what Rick South did in 79 Vanguard.

Kool! Pooh Bear is marching in the Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps and I get to play with him next week at Kamp.

Anyone Remember Carl Allison the DM soloist from Freelancers in the early 80's? He's playing with Kingsmen too.

I marched '79 SCV with Rick South. Great baritone player. Great guy.

Marched SCV with Carico too. Heh heh.

Although not a soloist, my fave '79 SCV baritone was Bill Sidney. That dude could wail.

Hope all of you can see Kingsmen live. We've got one hell of a bari line. ^0^

Genevieve from Brigs, any year but especially the "First Time ever I saw your face" solos in 2003 and 2007.

Some of my faves, off the top of my head:

Two names from a bygone era: Bill Hightower and John Simpson. Two absolutely awesome players, considering the tinker-toy brass instruments they were playing on in the early 1960s.

Fran

I don't know John Simpson but Billy Hightower (St. Catharines Queensmen) 1961 - 62 was the best I've ever heard and I've been to DCI Finals in 1974 and after that every year since Montreal in 1981. Billy was THE BEST!!!

can't believe he wasn't on the first page... or 5....

aaron goldberg.

see crossmen 2000, 2001.

wow.

1981 BD Exit was a duet featuring two legends - Dave Carico and Doug 'Pooh Bear' Kenyon.

Eddie Irwin.

Jerome Kimbrough.

:)

I must add Dennis Argul. You are one of my heros. You were always one of the best horn players that I've ever been around. An absolute beast.

The 1980 Bridgemen Bari line was phenomenal. No Bari solos in that show, but you guys were the best section of that horn line, in my opinion. Thunder & Blazes, Big Noise, In the Stone. Nothing was watered down for that bari line, and you were the line sergent, if I remember correctly.

Wow. You, Brian Law, and others were the real deal. Just think if Sully (David Sullivan, Bari soloist from the 1978 North Star) played in that bari line instead of the flugel line with the likes of me (because he was late coming on board for the season). Also, imagine if Jerome came up that year (he was new to DC and only played for like 1.5 or 2 years at that point - but he was a real animal also - amazing). Wow, what a horn section. You guys were beast.

C Clay