LONG BEACH REVIEW

Last year, I did a review called "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I'm still going to do that, but not in the individual reviews for the corps. I'll review each corps, then at the end, I'll launch into a "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". Here are the reviews by class:

[color="red"][b]SENIOR CLASS[/b][/color]
[u][b]Dream[/b][/u]
Performing first in the show with the late afternoon beating them down in the face, Dream pulled off a pretty good showing after a relatively tentative start. Opening fanfare of "In the Stone" is quite strong and confident, but then timing issues showed up a little in "Boogie" and caused the horns to hold back. Guard is costumed in some pretty incredibly bright neon multicolored costumes. Panels surround the field, which are right now PVC pipe frames. But by DCA Championships, they will be covered with neon colors to match the wild look of the guard. Speaking of guard, they perform very well. Seem to have done a good job with the staging as well. Percussion for Dream looked and sounded MUCH better than the Mt. Sac show, although as I've already said, "Boogie" was an issue from a timing standpoint. Visually rough at times. Unfortunately, Dream has been dealing with a bit of transiency within corps proper, so now that the southern California tour is over, they'll be able to close down the holes and really tighten things down as they prepare for Class A Championships at DCA. They have a lot of energy out there, although what would help would be two things. First, the ones in the hornline that are carrying the weight of the rest of the hornline on your shoulders--let it go and bring it down. Second, the ones that are ON the shoulders of your cohorts, time to push it up a little and test yourselves. If the hornline were to even out their sound and be consistent, Dream's score would skyrocket. The music is AWESOME. Now it just has to get performed...and for the corps, if any out there want to join--CALL THEM!! HURRY!!! And to make sure I don't forget--Sam Signorelli as DM did a great job conducting and keeping things under control. I would hope that maybe someone will donate a ladder and get the backfield DM higher--couldn't see her and that will help immeasurably for the ballad--which has a great mellophone soloist by the way!!! GREAT JOB!!!

[u][b]River City Regiment[/b][/u]
First, MAJOR kudos to drum major Derrik Brown. GREAT JOB of not only conducting, but being a good showman. RCR's REALLY impressed me with a very controlled horn sound throughout the entire production, except for a little stamina showing by the time the closer came up. VERY VERY impressive soprano bugle soloists. Apparently they are well-known up north, but I have no clue who they are. But wow...at one point, the taller of the two soloists did the famous Maynard Ferguson "I'm all out of improv ideas so I'll just lip trill and go up and down chromatically in the stratosphere". I'm not bagging, because it IS if not completely musical, VERY EXCITING. The audience loved it. So did I! Soprano section was probably the strongest throughout the whole show. I'm not a drummer (well, frustrated drummer...yes), but RCR's bass drums KICKED ###!!! Very very good job!! Guard started not too strong, and a little "disconnected" from the rest of the show, especially in "Sunshine", but then, as I marked in my notes, they got stronger as the show went on. And they got staged better and better. Odd. But good. Guard looked good in a two-blue tone off the shoulder top, except for the two hard-working male performers. I do have two major concerns. One of which seems unavoidable. That's the uniform for the corps. I hope that that is something addressed for next year as the corps gets bigger and stronger. You guys looked uniformed, but it just wasn't the strongest thing you all could have worn. Of course, I'm not a big fan of the Renegades look either--I'm just picky. But maybe next year finances or whatever will be better and some attention to this area could be given. Second concern--and this IS avoidable...and trust me, I go out on BIG SHAKY THIN TENUOUS READY-TO-BREAK LIMB BY SAYING THIS. But the drill design putting the horns at EIGHT STEP SPACING for no other reason then field coverage as far as I'm concerned was really really really an issue. There are MANY things you can do drill wise with 20 horns and not go more than 4 step spacing. Drum line was strong, but they were also very disconnected from the horns at times, to the detriment of the sound. I think I've heard over the Internet rumblings about some inner problems with RCR. If there were problems, I couldn't tell other than the fact that the corps seemed a tad smaller than last year. BUT OVERALL, a very very nice showing by the corps. I didn't hear my "Come Home to the Sea" as I was promised (COUGH COUGH!), but I'll live. Thanks for coming down...oh, one more thing. So I'm watching your show and I'm saying to myself, "One of your baritone players looks very familiar to me." Turns out he used to be student of mine at one of the high school I consulted with. VERY COOL! Small world...

[color="red"][b]DIVISION III[/b][/color]
[u][b]Jester[/b][/u]
No....FUSION! NO!!!!!!! JESTER!!!!!!!! What Turner??? I'll explain in postlogue...Needless to say, JESTER knows who they are!! Thank GOD! First thing that I liked about Jester is their uniform. It's a cool white top with a neat red triangle in the center. I realize I'm probably singing the praises of a Cesario-designed starship captain uniform--but still...I LIKED IT!! I know that's not cool to say--but it did look good. Unfortunately, Jester seemed to be marching a VAST amount of holes in their hornline. That was too bad, because it really hampered their visual cleanliness and sound production. VERY strong contra player out there. GOOD!! Drum line seemed to be confident. Wasn't a big fan of their music--typical symphonic band stuff. And the guard, while staged fairly well throughout the show, had many performance issues. I was especially taken back by their use of a strange rope prop with ball-like weights on the end. They could throw it up in the air, but the device's impact to the music and just overall visually was pretty weak. Not sure it served them very well. In other words, when you have a smaller, less experienced corps, it would seem to me that you'd want to play it "safe" and not introduce something that may come across as a "hanh?" to the audience. Jester, had they had all the holes filled, would have looked GREAT out there. I certainly hope they make some inroads with recruiting and what not out in the Valley of the Sun. That's because I happen to know that the band world is really getting better out there in Arizona--and there is OBVIOUSLY talent available out there.

[u][b]Mystical[/b][/u]
Fusion yet??? No?? OK...anyway...first, the major kudos. First, to the entire organization. Bless you for putting out a quality product having only started in November. Secondly, GREAT JOB by the drum major Scott Moura. YOU are great!!! Sincerely. Enjoyed your presence, your energy, and your control of the corps. Just the right amount of pizazz and control. Next, the drum line played extremely well, with very controlled sounds. I was very impressed. You know, it takes a certain amount of thought, creativity, and "sticktoitness" to design a drill that accomplishes what is needed on the sheets as well as being accessible to the kids. I'd like to say to their drill designer Mike Grogan JOB WELL DONE!!! Oh, and one more visual thing. THIS CORPS CAN MARCH! They have a very well-defined "style", which may come across as a little stiff legged looking, but to me, at least it's consistent. Shows good training!! Little concerns about the hornline sound. Especially the baritones. Very blatty, muddy, and a way-out-of-character sound coming from either one or two of them. Created some ensemble issues. Horns at times had some stamina issues it sounded like. Guard...sorry, didn't pay too much attention to you guys. You seemed to be staged fairly well. Didn't notice you otherwise--which I guess is good, right? And from a music standpoint--it was "Pirates of the Carribean". Great score, one would think. But personally, could other composers give us a break and stop ripping off Hans Zimmer and his "Gladiator" score. SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH!!! Mystical is doing well though...very strong Division III.

[u][b]Crusaders[/b][/u]
OK....THIS IS FUSION!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alright--look...I'm going to go out on that shaky limb again, and just state something that may seem negative, but really, it's meant as a little poke in the ribs to Mr. Norfleet. I got one word for you. Good job Magic!! You get me?? OK...now that I got that off my chest, Crusaders is going to DECIMATE Division III, and take down almost all of Division II. PERIOD. This corps rocks. They OWN the field with their confidence, they have a WELL designed show, and you know what. THEY GAVE ME THE FIRST HONEST TO GOODNESS GOOSEBUMPS OF THE NIGHT!! They will probably be hailed as THE best Division III corps ever in the history of drum corps. I'm serious folks. They surrounded the field with these cool spinable 3 dimensional triangle doohickey thingamagigees. Each of the 3 sides had a different color of metal (silver, bronze or gold) to introduce the color of the music. And then at the end of the show, which got wild with the music, they were spun real fast. It was a neat effect. The drill design was by my other-idol-besides-Myron-Rosander, the very talented and underrated Kurt Jull. YOWZA!! Guard was very good tonight. I love the corps proper uniforms. Very NON Cesario looking!! Dark green top, your common black pants, your common cadet hat. Nice. I was a little concerned at the pit. I think they were amped too loud. Overpowering a couple of times, and I actually winced at it. Watch that you guys. I really enjoyed the texturing of the hornline in the arc where they varied their heights by kneeling or squatting or standing. It was neat. Cru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!! Other than my little "sandbag" needling, quite seriously, I am so incredibly incredibly impressed. Like Arizona Academy impressed. Because I remembered what you looked like 2 years ago. I also viewed you guys like I viewed Esperanza a couple of years ago. You are the northwest's newest contender for Division I status. PERIOD!!! Just take it slow, keep the infrastructure strong, and you all are going places! Thank you for sharing with us down south. I'm serious about that.

[u][b]Fusion[/b][/u]
Uhhhhhh....yep!! It's on their podium!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! SUCCESS!!!! Great to have this Canadian conglomeration of Allegiance Elite and Strutters make it down to southern California. I was concerned at the many many intonation problems throughtout the hornline. I don't think weather was that much of a concern, so I was surprised to hear it. Drum line was pretty talented, however, not being a drummer, I don't know what to say about this. But their heads seems "loose" on the snares. Not that tight "table top" sound that people complain about. It sounded like snares. Is that good???? Anyone??? I need some edumacation. Also, there was a DEFINITE musical nod toward SCV's "rocking percussion feature" from last year's show. I heard it distinctly in the snare parts. I CAUGHT IT!! I also caught a few visual nods towards the Cavaliers. I find it funny how things that are done in Division 1 can filter down like that. It was cool. Thanks Fusion for making the trip!!

[u][b]Yamato[/b][/u]
They performed last in the show because they had some technical issues and were late getting to the show site. No matter. They are a quality group, and their performance was appreciated by the audience. They surrounded their stage area with Roman numeral outlines to make you think you were looking at a clockface. It was appropriate, considering the music was an original score by the talented John Meehan written especially for the corps called "Clockworks". Neat drill to open the show that showed the second and minute hand rotating around the clock that dissolved into drill chaos. Guard was pretty good, but to me, not staged all that well. Horns, while I know they are still getting their show learned (they start later than most corps), seemed to struggle tonight with intonation and sound quality issues. I was assurred by a certain staff member from Impulse that it doesn't matter right now what Yamato is like...because they ALWAYS get really good really fast during the summer. The show is designed to be a Division III finalist. No one will beat Cru this year, but Yamato will make a strong run for Top 5 in their division.

[color="red"][b]DIVISION II[/b][/color]
[u][b]Blue Devils B[/b][/u]
Well, now, it's the Crossmen. Well??? I mean, they practically did X-Men's entire 1990 show!! First, the big thing about BDB was their drum line, ESPECIALLY their unbelievable bass drum line! WOW!!!! Thank you!!! You guys can play. Guard was well done throughout the show, especially that nice rifle and sabre feature. Now...I might have made light of the musical choice as already being done, but really, it IS cool music. I think it's very appropriate for this level of corps. What is NOT appropriate unfortunately was the sound of BDB's hornline. YIKES. Sorry guys...massive intonation and tone quality issues throughout the show. Even the small ensemble you had come out had some tone issues. LOUD!!! Yes...horns were loud. But not good sounding. Drill design is pretty good throughout, but individual marching errors and style problems were throughout the corps. They need to batten down the hatches and get this show cleaned.

[u][b]Fever[/b][/u]
I've got to give the props where they are deserved. And that would be to the drum major. Single-handedly controlled a potential tear that was beginning to develop in the opener. That would be because the drums were rushing. GOOD JOB!!! THAT is the job of the drum major, and then jumping around and being melodramatic is the other job. Oh wait...sorry...that was just MY job. I'm having a flashback. Excuse me...where was I? Oh yeah...well folks, Fever. What can I say about this group. Let's start with the opening sequence to the first big hit. I really enjoyed the unique drill building into the first impact. Yet...OUCH!! What IS it with the tone quality of some the hornlines tonight? If Fever can work on the SOUND, not the volume (you got that part down pat), your opening moments will be OUTRAGEOUS!!! For instance, that section where the baritones and soprano voices go back and forth with a little !Q & A section was great. Your visual program was pretty dang neat, too. Actually, the drill wasn't trying to be anyone else's, if that makes any sense. To me, and I think only visual geeks like myself would get this, the drill seemed to be uniquely styled to the designer. Could be both good and bad. Performed very well at times, other times, things got visually muddy. Cleaning will go a long way. Guard did a great job! VERY beautiful orangey flag in the ballad. LOVED it. And I rarely give a hoot about flag colors. Here are some concerns. Drum line--be different. Really. Just take a chance. Be different. And for the LOVE of all that is holy, CUT THE DUH DUH DUH DUH right after the BEAUTIFUL ballad. The chord had hardly been cutoff and the moment fully appreciated before I heard that INFERNAL duhtting!! I've NEVER heard someone like Mitch Peters playing timp for the LA Phil saying "Duht...duht...duht duht duht duht" before playing something. Please...rid the drum corps/marching band world of duhtting. And I do like the uniforms...again, very NON-Cesario looking. But please, the pants. You disappeared on the field visually to a large extent. I don't know why...must have been the hue of the color of grey or something. Great showing!!! Love the corps! You are on the right path. Division I bound??? You have the potential to! THAT is for sure.

[u][b]Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets[/b][/u]
Perhaps the weather was more of a factor than I'm allowing. Here in my notes I'm showing OUCH--BARITONE INTONATION!!! And then I wrote it AGAIN later in my notes, plus "baris--not a good night". SCVC's show too me is not nearly as good as it has been in past years, and I still think that they must be dealing with a lot of younger players. Doesn't mean they aren't trying, but I'm thinking (a part of me is thinking this) that maybe the show is too tough??? I don't know. Visually, nice support from the horns with appropriate gestures and choreography in the opener. Drum line IS a highlight of the corps. Especially that cool sequential dealy bob they all did in the drum feature--snares!!! YOWWZA!!! Nice moment! Ending of the show is STILL dirty, missed assignments, etc. And the 3 people that yelled "Vanguard!!!" during a break in the closer...sorry folks. My cheese meter started to bing!! SCVC bottom line has a tremendous amount of cleaning to do. They have a LOT of competition in Division II. And not just from the west coast, either.

[u][b]Impulse[/b][/u]
I had opined in my last review of Impulse that I was surprised I wasn't REALLY seeing Impulse. But I also tried to think that there was a joke hidden in the seemingly more serious approach to their music this year, somehow equating "CARTOON MUSIC" with some of the more alleged sophisticated symphonic sounds coming from their drum corps compatriots across the country. But gone at their last show were those antics...the musical jokes...the visual nods....the "we're having fun!!". And then on top of that, they weren't at all comfortable with their music. Well, apparently over the last two weeks, they must have gone into hiding. And out comes IMPULSE!! Not only seeming to have fun--but MUCH MUCH more comfortable with their music. And guess what?? Now peppered throughout the show are great visual choreographed moments that are now starting to support the music. Cartoon music is specific to the images on the screen. So should Impulse's show be specific to the music on the field. They're getting it now folks. But from a technical standpoint, WHOA!!! The hornline, with the only exception of a "fatigue" sound that made their support sound thin at times, REALLY sounded soooooooooooooooooo much better. What I couldn't make out last time, came through LOUD AND CLEAR. And that's what I like about Impulse...they are NOT trying to outdo the next corps sound wise. Now--here the old timers would say err to the side of loud. But to me, musically, it's far more important and "sound" teaching to make sure the kids know proper horn technique and sound production. I noticed a greater depth to the sound. I noticed some great horn technique out there. The multimeter music was tough! But done well. And credit they seem to be getting--finally. My gripe about relative scores comes later. But for them, they had a FIVE POINT JUMP tonight. BAM!!! Good job to the staff...and GREAT job to the kids. I need to move on with the drum line...one word....AWESOME!! They are sooooooooooo talented, clean and march fairly well. The pit...whoa baby!!!! Impulse has a pit, and they are ON FIRE!!! Special nod of appreciation to the talent of the drum guys, and especially Ike Jackson and Caleb Rothe. WOW you guys. I can say no more. Guard had some new staging thrown at them (inside scoop), so they didn't quite perform as comfortably as the rest of the corps. But once their gig gets finalized, they'll be great. More scoop--did you know that Impulse during the first southern California tour was killing the rest of Division II in guard score?? I didn't!! Impulse to me is better than last year--much better. Visually, Dave Weinberg has provided the corps with marchable stuff. And fun stuff at that!! He's coordinated this show--and doing well in that role.

[color="red"][b]DIVISION I[/b][/color]
[u][b]Esperanza[/b][/u]
If Esperanza can take a serious look (listen) to their hornline and do whatever it takes to fatten and deepen the sound, and work out the "shaky" sound coming from the upper sop voice in "October" that almost ruined an otherwise PERFECT ballad for them, Esperanza will go places. Like SEMI FINALS!! You see, Esperanza, flush with their Division II Champion status, stepped up to Division I, and to me, have done an admirable job at it. They have HEAVY competition this year, and I think their horns will be their "liability". Everything else is working for them. Their guard is simply outstanding. Their drill, by my buddies Reed Richardson and Gary Backlund, is accessible (maybe too easy??), and well written and staged. Drums are solid, and the music is really really cool!! I wrote all over my notes that "October" is gorgeous--simply gorgeous!! I was bummed to see what I think are some holes in the hornline. I sure hope that it's not a recruiting issue (hello to the lone contra in the end zone!!), and that maybe some horns were sick or injured?? Esperanza doesn't deserve holes in that corps. Fun music and drill at the end of the show. All this great corps has to do is TIGHTEN IT UP, and get those horns PHAT!!!!!!!!! And we'll have 4 California corps in semi finals come Friday night.

[u][b]Pacific Crest[/b][/u]
Second goosebump reaction of the night. It occurred in the opening section when the corps did a controlled scatter and surrounded the "dead" body. WOW!! Visual program, put together by the genius of Don Gallaher--superior job!! I noted that I wondered if the judges were concerned about the 4 seperate scatter drills, but other than that...great!! Visual performance--solid across the board, except for the mellophone that missed a horn visual, and then violated the Ryan H. Turner rule of visual performance by REACTING to his mistake--ARGH!!! Drum line--man, wow...what a group. Pit was great--I don't think they missed one note. Heavy duty runs, great balance, exciting!! Drums pulled out these cool "world percussion" things--wish I was smart enough to know what they are called, but I PROMISE I won't call them congas or bongo drums. I know it's something far more specific. But they were hand held instruments and the battery had a great time playing them, showing some great energy and "fun" during that portion of the show. This is NOT your typical cookie-cutter symphonic type show--this Bernard Hermann film music, and it's QUITE exciting. Oh yeah--and well written too--good job my buddy Dale!! Can't go without mentioning the drill move towards the end of "Death Hunt, where to me, it was like an out of control clock. Contrary rotating rings. Not the HARDEST drill in the world, but the crowd loved it!! And baritones!! Actually LOW BRASS!! You are CLEARLY dominate in the overall sound of the corps. But baritones, you sounded great throughout the show, and quartet sounded BEAUTIFUL. There is an impact in the ballad that is worth mentioning--want to see if anyone else noticed it. But the mellophones absolutely WAIL on this note that within the chord structure doesn't sound like it belongs there, but strangely (and I may be admitting to a HUGE amount of geekism right now by admitting this), it gave me the impression of a woman crying. WAS THAT THE INTENTION OF THAT NOTE? I don't know...but it was very cool. Now--here's the part of my notes that I wrote in big, heavy letters....just two words....GET AGGRESSIVE!!! I had the feeling throughout the show up until the drill unwinds and put the hornline right on the front sideline with the final BAP BAP!!! impact of "Death Hunt", that the PC hornline needs to "take it up a level". It's almost like the corps is purposely making me sit on the edge of seat ready to just go nuts and they just don't quite get there...and I simply think it's just a performance aggressiveness sort of thing. I think the drums have it...but not the horns. That lead in to the BAP BAP part at the end of "Death Hunt"--I felt like I was physically punched. I want that at ALL THE OTHER IMPACTS!! And I'm saying this as a fan--not as an instructor, just as a person that loves PC. You guys technically rock the world. Now MEAN IT!!

[u][b]The Good, The Bad, The Ugly[/b][/u]
It's now time to turn our attention to the things that happen at shows, the thoughts that go running around in the basically free space that exists inside this reviewer's cranium, the gossip, the issues, the gripes, the pain...whatever.

[u][b]The Good!![/b][/u]
--Much improvement seen in the overall quality of most of the corps. It truly is an exciting time to me for the west coast drum corps scene in ALL divisions. There are some truly talented, caring, and intelligent individuals out there that have sacrificed much to bring about, dare I say, a revival (AMEN BROTHER!!) of a loved activity (PRAISE BE!!!) that we alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll want to see (YOU GO BROTHER!!!) flourish!! (AMEN!!!)
--Stadium, with the exception of no back stands, and the irritating light pole on the 50 yd line which made me have to crane my neck around to see the drum major's acknowledge my announcing, was good. I would think the concert side seated about 3000. Pretty nice facility.
--We had FOURTEEN CORPS!!! 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Folks, in the mid 90's we were lucky to get 6...and a pickle!! MAN!! I was exhausted after 14 corps!! But a good kind of exhausted.
--Seeing old friends, seeing MANY old VK jackets, hugging the director of Impulse like not a moment of time has passed since the last time I saw him drinking coffee in a cafe in Fountain Valley 8 months ago...good times...good times.

[u][b]The Bad!![/b][/u]
--Charlie Groh--MIA! That's bad!! There's nothing like trying to announce a show and have Charlie standing there needling you. Hmmmm...hope he's ok.
--The light pole on the 50! BAD POLE!! BAAAAAAAAAAD!!! Did the designers of the stadium REALLY think football was the most important thing to be done in the stadium? Goobers...
--Audience...HELLO!!! We had 14 corps!! Did I mention that?? Oh yeah, I did! Thanks to the 800 people that showed up. Hmmmm....14 corps, 3000 seating capacity, 800 in attendance. Too bad...Impulse deserves more support than this.
--No more yelling "Vanguard". Bad. Except during the Big Vanguard show. That's good.

THE UGLY!!
--Oh boy...how do I say this? Some reviewer's would be sarcastic and say to the horn instructors in question to "go out and buy a tuner". I won't go that route, as I do know that weather plays havoc with tuning sometimes. But really--I HOPE intonation is a priority for horn folks, and some of these groups get that worked on. Some pretty uncomfortable moments tonight.
--No more duhtting. It's now banned. DCI rules now. Really. I'm serious. I swear to God I'll scream if I hear it again. From anyone. Including my own kids.
--Major UGLY note to staff members that insist on having amps. Please, go to a Home Depot and buy a hand held hose wrapper upper. That way, we can stop with the panicked "Oh my God, my extension cord is alllllllllll tangled!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!!" Folks, I'm not minding the amps...but I AM minding and noting the histrionics going on trying to simply get plugged in. It really was ridiculous, and is runner up to the ugly award of the night.

HOWEVER--that being said...I would like to award the dubious honor of Ugliest of the Night...

and the winner of THE UGLIEST award of all time....

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take pride in trying to be a good announcer. Tonight, by virtue of a real legitimate reason, I SUCKED ###!!! My brain, which was fried from being up all night with the Fire Department and not getting a nap during the day, failed miserably to fire on all 3 pistons that I normally fire on. Add to that my excitement (real--serious) that there was a group from Canada there...and suddenly,[i][b] ALL OF DIVISION III BECAME FUSION TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!! [/b][/i]WTF!!?!?!?! In law enforcement, police officers talk to each other in code, both the written standard type code, and then there's the "wink wink" codes....like what any good police officer would be saying about me after hearing my performance on Saturday night....HUA!!! HEAD UP ###!! Trust me...the code exists...and I personify it. You know what's even worse...the judges were looking at me like I was a complete loon!! And then, just out of the blue, when Pacific Crest came on, Steve Suslik looks over at me and says, "You do know this is Pacific Crest, right?" Thanks Steve...the white pants gave it away.

So...to Jester, to Oregon Crusaders, to Impulse who thought it was wise to ask me to be here, and to family for taking the otherwise regal Turner name and putting a dunce cap on top of it...I APOLOGIZE. Especially to the staff of Jester...who was having what was described to me as epileptic seizures on the track as I continued to blissfully announce Fusion's show, and going on about them making the trip from Canada, only to finally look up to see what everyone was screaming about, realizing the ENTIRE stadium was standing up looking at me with their collective hands on their hips shaking their heads and making that "tsk tsk tsk" sound with their teeth...and then, without missing a beat, saying "I KNOW...I MEANT to say Jester!!" Whatever...but seriously...everyone "professional" (and I use the term LIGHTLY in regards to me) has an off night. This was mine. And as soon as I learn how to UN-HUA myself, I'll be good as new.

You're cut, Turner! Now grab your bari and get in the Dream line!!!!

Seriously...Friday night is a HORRIBLE time for Sr corps to go on...you know...that getting there straight from work and fighting LA we-no-move traffic? I left my house at 3pm for a 5pm call time and STILL barely made it in time for about 10 minues of warmup and then the show. one of our mellos came running up to the gate AFTER we'd circled up post-show!!

'Course, our ORIGINAL gate time was 6:40, not the changed time of 6:00...so there went more warm time.

Still, we essentially held our score...and last night in riverside we went up by over 5 points, narrowly (.25) missing RCR.

I think any Friday show in the future should have the Srs go on later in the lineup so we don;t have to stress on the drive over.

How many people did Jester have on the field?

Maybe 30 people total...I think it was about 15 or 16 horns...4 sn/3 quads/5 bd...strike that...they had about 10 in guard...so we're looking at 38 to 40.

Make that 1.25.  The announcer made a boo boo.  See Turner? You're not the only one!  LOL!!!

Sucking knows no limits...I must have passed on a Suck Bug to Mr. Locke out at Riverside. Now I have to apologize to THAT show...

Edited by Ryan H. Turner