• 1997 - Fog City Sketches
    • 1994 - THe Red Poppy
    • 1991 - Miss Saigon
    • 1990 - Carmen
    • 1989 - Phantom of the Opera
    • 1988 - Phantom of the Opera
    • 1987 - Russian Christmas Music
    • 1981 - Young Persons Guide...

2000- This show has the most diverse and beautiful use of colorguard that ive ever seen. it truly displays SCV's unique guard style, which is too often under-appreciated. Their movement was beautiful in style and flow. The flagwork was totally intense throughout the show. How about that awesome flag block at the end? and the very musical and artistic ending with the weaving in the circle? The weapons work in the String Quartet was amazingly intense, and the pole work so intriguing and fitting. The dance during the percussion feature was so effective in displaying what we were hearing (and according to my friend the most tiring thing shes ever performed!), and the movement block in Adagio was filled with passion. I could go on and on...

1999- The cleanest SCV's guard had been in years. Very effective with their unique themes (ie, the high kicking thing). That closing work in Blue Shades was eye candy, and they were breathtaking in the ballad. I really like the weapons work during the first part of the barber symphony, and the flag toss to complete the movement.

1997- THe part of this show that really grabs me is the flag work. its spectacular. especially the very end with the corps scattering from the company front and the guard with their big, beautiful yellow silks and awesome choreograhpy.

1991- There were several awesome things happening in this show. Great use of non-traditional items! The rattan fans were beautiful, the giant lantern things looked awesome in the finale, and the bamboo poles during the Morning of the Dragon looked great mixed in with that intense weapons work! Theres several great tosses throughout this show. I really liked the pink flags in the first ballad too, effective use of them.

1988/89- 1988 was so dramatic and completely innovated productions on the field. I personally tend to like 88 more with Raul and Christine, but 1989 is certainly no slouch! They pulled out all the stops in 1989 and it showed. such a powerful performance, they never let up once! they wanted it and they showed it!

my vote...2000. They werent the cleanest guard ever, but they had some beautiful work and contributed so much to that show. They really laid it all on the line, especially during Adagio.

Thanks!

Sean w/Stp:

It was between '99 and '00 for me, and I chose '99 just because overall, that was a far better show for the guard. '00 was still really amazing though, especially the end in the block--watch the yellow flags up front in the moments before the hit the block, they are seriously moving up there! I like 1999 better because I loved the goose stepping, and the work for Blue Shades was incredible. The other years for the guard a plagued by bad timing and bad work in areas. 1998 was a step forward, and I think was reason for their success in 1999. 1997 was good but sloppy, as with the other years. SCV has a good guard, but when compared to the Cadets, BD, CAvs, Crossmen, etc., this guard just won't cut it for the title.

It was between '99 and '00 for me, and I chose '99 just because overall, that was a far better show for the guard. '00 was still really amazing though, especially the end in the block--watch the yellow flags up front in the moments before the hit the block, they are seriously moving up there! I like 1999 better because I loved the goose stepping, and the work for Blue Shades was incredible. The other years for the guard a plagued by bad timing and bad work in areas. 1998 was a step forward, and I think was reason for their success in 1999. 1997 was good but sloppy, as with the other years. SCV has a good guard, but when compared to the Cadets, BD, CAvs, Crossmen, etc., this guard just won't cut it for the title.

I agree with the 99 guard, i loved the goosestepping and there was some amazing work. From the jam-session to the end was just "whoa." I loved their work in the opener too.

You have an interesting take on the 98 guard. I actually thought it was a step back. It had some VERY dirty moments, and is pretty much the deciding factor for me between SCV and Cadets in 98. I thought 97's flag work was better executed, but i do think that 98's weapons line was somewhat better. This guard really took off in 99 though.

• 4 weeks later...

03 could be... heard that Michael Shapiro was headed that way? Anyone know for sure?