Favorite Bassline

SpiritKid

GBass -

Which line are you referring to concerning the "squatting" style of crabbing?  Are you sure it isn't just bad posture?

Doug

i was talking about the cavaliers, but maybe it is just bad posture. hmm...

oh well.

i'm sure that past cavies lines HAD to have better posture than the last few.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

find another bass line that hauls like they did in 03, or even this year with slightly easier drill.  let me know, and i'll do you the courtesy of checking it out.

I'm sorry to be such a homer, but check out the drill for Star's basses in '93. I'm not a drummer so I don't know how difficult the music was but they were doing drill that would be hard for the hornline to pull off. Also notice that they don't spend their entire show inside the 40's. I don't remember if Cavies stayed in the 40's this year, but it seems they usually do. I do remember seeing some impressive sprints during a rehearsal though.

You may want to check out '91 as well. I do remember the whole corps was running all over the place so I'll assume Zingali was moving the basses too (getting too old...brain can't remember for sure...can't breath...must get air).

QUOTE(Mug663 @ Sep 23 2004, 08:10 AM)

GBass -

Which line are you referring to concerning the "squatting" style of crabbing?  Are you sure it isn't just bad posture?

Doug

i was talking about the cavaliers, but maybe it is just bad posture. hmm...

oh well.

i'm sure that past cavies lines HAD to have better posture than the last few.

We've never squatted to march. Sometimes, however, our step size is so large that you may see us drop a little. This is unavoidable unless you "hop" all over the field like some lines I've seen in the past. As far as staying inside the 40's, most of my sets were between (let's see if I can actually remember this) I think the 25-30 area, but that really doesn't matter. I'd rather see a line stay between the 40's and actually be a part of the rest of the drill than running around the whole field for no reason whatsoever. In a lot of cases that's more distracting.

Personally, my favorite bassline was the 01 Cavaliers. Even though I didn't march in that line, I have always loved the way those guys played together. Not to mention that Neo was one of the best Bass 5's to step foot on a football field.

In my opinion when you rank line against line, I&E is a totally different ballgame. If we're talking best marching basslines here, we should keep it that way, but when you start incorporating I&E history I think the criteria becomes to braod. I think bass ensembles are actually cliche and boring and they don't show off the true essence of a bass line and the players' true abilities as bass drummers. I've seen a lot of lines who can play some "cool" runs on the ground but can't do the one thing moving that is the most vitally important aspect to marching bass drum: playing together.

And that's my post for the millenia. (As you can tell by my post count I rarely talk, but I'm always listening)

Doug

Pink Floyd-Money

Yes-Long Distance Runaround

jk

Suncoast Sound 1985-86

Bushwackers 1992-93

Hee Hee--John Entwhistle  "My Generation" b**bs

john entwhistle-anything :worthy: