Favorite Bassline

SpiritKid

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did someone say 03 cadets? did any of you actually listen to them? sure they played their notes fine (even though you can't hear half of it), but the writing is so boring. listen to the section where the snares play an ostinato on their cowbells and pay attention to the basses. just check it out and see what you think. phantom this year was quite good, i'll agree to that. their notes weren't that difficult though. a lot of 4's and old school writing, which is cool, just not that hard to execute. they had some sweet exposure though. good for them.

the best bass line this past year, and possibly within the last ten years, was the cavaliers. upon further investigation, true bass line fans will be talking about the 04 cavies line for quite some time. i listened to some lot stuff of theirs last week, and i was impressed to say the least. at the very least you have to mention their bass break towards the end of the show. unreal consistency of technique and sound quality across the line. from 18 inch to 32 inch, they look and sound very good. even if their notes sucked, they'd pull it off. fortunately for them, their writing is super sweet. split sixteenth notes down low and a split twelve between 2 and 3, which has been done before granted, but they do it the way it should be done. their unison work is flawless. their tuning is perfect for their line, and any line in dci. and even though i'm sure no one cares, the past two cavie bass lines could march their rear ends off. find another bass line that hauls like they did in 03, or even this year with slightly easier drill. let me know, and i'll do you the courtesy of checking it out.

did someone say 03 cadets?  did any of you actually listen to them?  sure they played their notes fine (even though you can't hear half of it), but the writing is so boring.  listen to the section where the snares play an ostinato on their cowbells and pay attention to the basses.  just check it out and see what you think.  phantom this year was quite good, i'll agree to that.  their notes weren't that difficult though.  a lot of 4's and old school writing, which is cool, just not that hard to execute.  they had some sweet exposure though.  good for them. 

the best bass line this past year, and possibly within the last ten years, was the cavaliers.  upon further investigation, true bass line fans will be talking about the 04 cavies line for quite some time.  i listened to some lot stuff of theirs last week, and i was impressed to say the least.  at the very least you have to mention their bass break towards the end of the show.  unreal consistency of technique and sound quality across the line.  from 18 inch to 32 inch, they look and sound very good.  even if their notes sucked, they'd pull it off.  fortunately for them, their writing is super sweet.  split sixteenth notes down low and a split twelve between 2 and 3, which has been done before granted, but they do it the way it should be done.  their unison work is flawless.  their tuning is perfect for their line, and any line in dci.  and even though i'm sure no one cares, the past two cavie bass lines could march their rear ends off.  find another bass line that hauls like they did in 03, or even this year with slightly easier drill.  let me know, and i'll do you the courtesy of checking it out.

Plus, nobody else plays "Iowa" coming off the field!!!!!!!!!!!

^OO^

SCV hauls a lot. maybe not as much as the cavies, but they definitely haul. and, they play harder stuff. not just fighter pilot stuff, but switching rythimic meters, and their dynamic shaping is impecable. this of course has to do a lot with the writting, but they definitely pull it off.

but, it's true, they don't play Iowa. :rolleyes: B)

i'm sorry, unfortunately i don't know what "rythimic" meters are. some kind of new, advanced technique scv is developing? i must be in the dark on this one. by the way, you can tell their bassline "hauls" because they bounce around a lot when they march. the idea is to make it look easy.

i'm sorry, unfortunately i don't know what "rythimic" meters are. some kind of new, advanced technique scv is developing? i must be in the dark on this one. by the way, you can tell their bassline "hauls" because they bounce around a lot when they march. the idea is to make it look easy.

Ouch

Thanks for the compliment, though.

Doug

Cavaliers Bassque 02-04

yeah. ouch. :worthy:

that was probably one of my stupider posts.

instead of "rythmic metering," (which realy sounds ########) i ment rythmic modulation. sorry about that.

as for the drill thing, i dunno how to respond to that. i don't think they bounce around that much. (although this year's 2nd and 3rd bass seemed to have a slightly different style of marching than the other basses)

i know that i like the way they march better than crabbing in a very deep squating (spelling??) position. but, that's just my opinion....

Edited by Gbassman5