Celebrity Alumni?

People are quick to dismiss the Madonna/drum corps link, mostly because people assume it was the Bayonne Bridgemen she marched in.  That was not the group she was in.  She was in a corps from her home state of Michigan.  There was a corps in BRIDGMAN, and there was also a corps from the Michigan/Ontario area called the Bluewater Bridgemen.  Several biographical sketches on Madonna show her as being a member of such a corps.  She did take twirling lessons when she was in junior high school, which was the time these corps were active in Michigan.

Do you have a reference for her corps participation (title, author, page number?). There is nothing on the web that I can find although there is a 2004 DCI.org story of her hiring a rifle instructor to teach her some moves for a tour: link

Neither can I find any information about the Bluewater Bridgemen from Sarnia, Ontario.

Anyone out there who marched with them?

I have set up a page for them in the www.drumcorpswiki.com. Perhaps we can settle this once and for all.

I just saw Sarnia Sam's post:

New information. the Bridgemen thing was nagging at me, so I checked with someone else who'd know. My original thought was that one of the three feeder corps Bucs had went by the name.

However, there was for a very short time another corps in Sarnia that most of us who marched in any of the Sarnia drum corps never talk about because they were so bad. That corps was the Entertainers, a misnaming if there ever was one. The corps for a short time did change their name to Bridgemen before fading away. That would have been in 1977, or 78.

So that seems to substatiate the existence of this corps anyway.

Edited by ambassadorhorn

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drumming legends Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham both marched. I think Gadd was with Rochester Crusaders and Billy was with the Skyliners. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong on those. Jazz drummer Roy McCurdy who has played with tons of artists over the years also marched. Not sure what corps but it may have been Caballeros.

Billy Cobham marched with the St. Catherine's Queensmen and the L.I. Sunrisers.

Ray

The drummer from Sixpence None the Richer, not sure of his name, marched with Sky Ryders in the 80s along with Chad Sexton. I know for sure that in 87 Chad was on snare and the other guy was on tenors. I ran into an 87 Sky Ryders rook out who mentioned that. I don't know what other years either of them marched.

Dale Baker... marched with Sky Ryders? Well Sixpence is originally from Texas but I can't see that. He's definitely a good drummer but can't imagine him in drum corps. But I guess it's possible.

She wasn;t in my corps, but I'll speak for the Longview Mauraders....

Member of the color guard for the practice seasonn (85-86 timeframe)...was unable to actually do the competitive season because her step-father pulled her our of the corps for financial reasons...

A pic of her at the age of 19:

Sharry10.jpg

Unfortunately I can't show the rest of the pic, since this is a family board....but you get the idea.

Sharry Konopski...Playboy's Miss March 1987

Edited by 84BDsop

Drumming legends Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham both marched. I think Gadd was with Rochester Crusaders and Billy was with the Skyliners. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong on those. Jazz drummer Roy McCurdy who has played with tons of artists over the years also marched. Not sure what corps but it may have been Caballeros.

His bio never says but it was while he was in Rochester so it makes sense he would have marched with the Crusaders. Chuck Mangione also marched as well with who Gadd played with. I think Chuck marched with the Muchachos or Americanos I think, can't remember.

Russ McKinnon

we (BD) did a theatre gig with him in 97

we played "your still a young man" and " squibcakes" with him

I have those recordings, they're great! B)

Belive it or not it was neither, he marched VK. He was a member of the pit. name escapes me though.

Tenor Sax Player for BBVD Karl Hunter marched VK in the pit. He was a graduate of Dos Pueblos High School and his dad was my math teacher at Goleta Valley Jr High. He stopped by my high school my senior year and like a true band dork, I got him to sign my drill sheets.