Celebrity Alumni?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To set the record straight, in an interview in the Hamilton Spectator newspaper (approx. 1990) Neil Peart of the band Rush NEVER had any formal training in drumming until joining Rush as their second drummer, after their first record. He also contnues to consult and write for many other atrists. Rumour though that Lorne Ferrazutti, famous drum instructor of the Toronto Optimists "taught" him. Lorne never confirmed or denied it though. But according to his biographical info never marched in drum corps or band but does support all types of music programs.

The noted Al Chez of the Late Show with David Letterman marched with The Garfield Cadets in the early 80's.  Sorry Al, I forget the years....82 to 83???  I think?

PEACE.

What up Rutt...forgive me for my ignorance but what does Chez play?

Al plays Trumpet with Paul and company.. :)

I am unaware of any famous Regiment alums, other that Miss Spears. Not Britney of course. :P

Is she famous now? I'm confused. I know people still talk about her being the "hottest drum major of all time." But is she really famous? I think that's funny if she is.... I had classes with her at UK after her ageout year at Phantom.

SMM

Madonna marched Bridgemen. For sure.

Nope Madonna never marched in the Bridgemen maybe we can get her to do the alumni corps.

The whole corps or just part of it?

Doesn't matter which part, does it ?? B) :blink:

Edited by ODBC

To set the record straight, in an interview in the Hamilton Spectator newspaper (approx. 1990) Neil Peart of the band Rush NEVER had any formal training in drumming until joining Rush as their second drummer, after their first record.  He also contnues to consult and write for many other atrists.  Rumour though that Lorne Ferrazutti, famous drum instructor of the Toronto Optimists "taught" him.  Lorne never confirmed or denied it though.  But according to his biographical info never marched in drum corps or band but does support all types of music programs.

ya mean someone actually thought we were SERIOUS? hehehehehehe!

Ü

jan

The rumor I heard was the Neil Peart of RUSH stood between Ralph Hardimon and Tom Float in the Kingsmen snare line!

Several years ago I was listening to a radio interview of RUSH on Westwood One. During the phone in portion, a caller asked Neil Peart if he ever marched drumcorps and if so which/when etc.

Neil said he is asked that question often by drummers. He stated he never marched in any drumcorps, but he was aware of the highly technical drumming that went on in the activity, and he respected the drummers that participated in marching drumlines.

I always wondered that since people kept asking him about drumcorps if he checked it out on his own or if someone turned him on to some

bootleg parking lot MP3s (this interview was circa 1988).

Side Note: I just heard an interview with Tommy Lee of Motley Crew. He was promoting a new TV show where he goes to college for a semester. He said he played "triples" in his high school drumline, and for the show he tried out for the college drumline. The interviewer laughed, but Tommy said something like "These drumcorps guys take the drumline seriously, I had to practice for days to get my chops up. Then I had to be on the football feild at 5am the first day of band camp with all the rest of the rookies."

Stayed tuned for Tommy getting cut if real "drumcorps guys" are running the show!