• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carla Azar...drummer for the band Autolux

Carla in 84 BD (snare line)

Carla.jpg

Carla today

0104giovanni.jpg

Apparently she fell 10 feet off a stage on '02 and shattered one of her arms...been rebuilt tho...bionic drummer!

Edited by 84BDsop

A Capital Regiment baritone player I knew and marched with is now a member of the Marine DBC. Does that count as celebrity status?

If not, I know another one who's become a bit of a celebrity/nuisance on DCP with all the rabble-rousing he's been doing lately... ^0^

Now, I was listening to the Don and Mike radio show yesterday, and their newsman, Buzz Burbank, claimed he marched in a drum and bugle corps. Any D&M fans have any further inside info on where he was? If it helps, I think he's originally from Wichita, KS, so that'd be a place to start.

I know that some of the newer corps might not have many alums who got famous but I also know that a lot of corps had members who went on to great fame in various mediums.

For example:

Scott Cuthbert (original drummer for Everclear) marched both SCV '83 (snare) and BD '84 (tenors)

He Marched Blue Stars Then SCV

Chad Sexton (drummer for 311) marched with Sky Riders (I think that's where he marched).

Supposedly Tres' Cool from Green Day tried out for BD and got cut shortly before he joined Green Day.

I've heard that Neil Peart marched Kiwanis back in the day but don't know for sure if that's true or not.

Anyone have any famous alumni?

Carla Azar...drummer for the band Autolux

Carla in 84 BD (snare line)

Before Carla went west, she was a snare in Spirit of Atlanta (1982).

-Jack

People are quick to dismiss the Madonna/drum corps link, mostly because people assume it was the Bayonne Bridgemen she marched in.  That was not the group she was in.  She was in a corps from her home state of Michigan.  There was a corps in BRIDGMAN, and there was also a corps from the Michigan/Ontario area called the Bluewater Bridgemen.  Several biographical sketches on Madonna show her as being a member of such a corps.  She did take twirling lessons when she was in junior high school, which was the time these corps were active in Michigan.

as posted on another thread, she wasn't a member of that corps, either. by the time the corps existed, she was already on MTV....as posted by a former staffer.....

Ü

jan

I know that some of the newer corps might not have many alums who got famous but I also know that a lot of corps had members who went on to great fame in various mediums.

For example:

Scott Cuthbert (original drummer for Everclear) marched both SCV '83 (snare) and BD '84 (tenors)

Chad Sexton (drummer for 311) marched with Sky Riders (I think that's where he marched).

Supposedly Tres' Cool from Green Day tried out for BD and got cut shortly before he joined Green Day.

I've heard that Neil Peart marched Kiwanis back in the day but don't know for sure if that's true or not.

Anyone have any famous alumni?

EVERYBODY knows neil peart marched phantom.....sorry jeff, i HAD to!

Ü

jan

The noted Al Chez of the Late Show with David Letterman marched with The Garfield Cadets in the early 80's.  Sorry Al, I forget the years....82 to 83???  I think?

PEACE.

1978-1982