Celebrity Alumni?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the people I see mentioned here would hardly qualify as "famous" as far as the general public is concerned (does John Q Public know the names of the musicians in Letterman's band, for instance?). Perhaps "notable" would be a better word.

My MOM does.

hahaha

ALAN CHEZ

Um, he said "notable", not "notorious". ^0^

About the only "known" on a mass basis would be George Takei (Mr. Sulu) of Star Trek fame. Marched, I believe, LA Chinese or Imperial Dragons.

For that matter, I could be one of those "notables"! Perhaps you saw some of my work in the late 80's early 90's?

Rocketman - Let's do lunch

ampssuck

Jason Mackenroth, the drummer for the Rollins Band and Mother Superior was a snare player with the Freelancers in 1987 (and 85 also if I am not mistaken).

Here is the proof...

www.jason-mackenroth.com

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Steve Rondinaro.  Heck, he's been in TV and radio all his pro career.  In matter of fact, he owns a nice little station in the High Country of NC now.  He even does the newscast.

HE was the news man in Orlando when i was growing up :)

People are quick to dismiss the Madonna/drum corps link, mostly because people assume it was the Bayonne Bridgemen she marched in.  That was not the group she was in.  She was in a corps from her home state of Michigan.  There was a corps in BRIDGMAN, and there was also a corps from the Michigan/Ontario area called the Bluewater Bridgemen.  Several biographical sketches on Madonna show her as being a member of such a corps.  She did take twirling lessons when she was in junior high school, which was the time these corps were active in Michigan.

Sorry, no corps in Michigan called the Bridgemen during the time period she was able to march (legally).

The Bluewater Buccaneers were from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. I marched in that corps during the 70s and taught during the early 80s - there were some madonnas, but no Madonna.

Regards,

John Swartz

and Neil Peart marched evey single drum corps in Ontario :P

New information. the Bridgemen thing was nagging at me, so I checked with someone else who'd know. My original thought was that one of the three feeder corps Bucs had went by the name.

However, there was for a very short time another corps in Sarnia that most of us who marched in any of the Sarnia drum corps never talk about because they were so bad. That corps was the Entertainers, a misnaming if there ever was one. The corps for a short time did change their name to Bridgemen before fading away. That would have been in 1977, or 78.

Edited by sarnia sam