retreats...

Did anyone mention that each corps you went by would also salute your American Section and if you wanted to be really nice, hold it until the whole corps went by.  So each guard was saluting each guard.

I'm not sure when this part stopped, and if everyone had an American Section.

We would actually have to make up a retreat form, then the guard work, etc.  It was a thing that had to be worked on....sometime just thrown together, most of the time well thought out.

Yes, you are right, we did make up guard work for the salute. Like you said, it had to be worked on and sometimes just thrown together. We had a rule in the guard, if you screwed up retreat, you had to polish everyones boots or shoes! :sshh:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rember the year PR and Bridgemen both played Pagliachi (sp) and Bayonne playing it directly at Regiment as they left retreat, with particular emphasis on the "laugh".

wow, I'm surprised that some didn't know the tradition of retreats. Did they not teach them that? :worthy:

in what, drum corps 101? the only way anyone learns anything about the history of drum corps is to ask, i guess. there should be a documentary on the history channel or something. i know there's a book, but i'm hesitant to buy it..... i have enough textbooks in my life right now. i'm considering it.

that seems like fun.... and long. they should do that at regionals when we have retreat.

I rember the year PR and Bridgemen both played Pagliachi (sp) and Bayonne playing it directly at Regiment as they left retreat, with particular emphasis on the "laugh".

You have to remember there was a "rift" between Bayonne and PR over what happened in 1977.

Yeah, I watched Cavies coming off the field in finals after we beat them....one of their bass drummers kicked the side of their drum in while they were in front of us.  :worthy:

uncle z knows who did that................ :(

in what, drum corps 101? the only way anyone learns anything about the history of drum corps is to ask, i guess. there should be a documentary on the history channel or something. i know there's a book, but i'm hesitant to buy it..... i have enough textbooks in my life right now. i'm considering it.

that seems like fun.... and long. they should do that at regionals when we have retreat.

It used to happen at about every show, local, regional, or otherwise, back in the day. In 84 out of 30+ shows I only experienced 1 DM only retreat (Modesto, CA show to start 2nd tour)...MAYBE one other at the Garfield show, but full corps retreats and trooping the winner was the norm.

I will admit, as a DM myself, DM only is easier on the nerves...only have to round up myself and whoever from the guard may be going out with me...or, since Dream tends to go on first in shows I tend to lead the parade out to the line and just give a "here we go" to my fellow DMs behind me.

I DO miss the full corps retreats, tho...hopefully we'll have one this year.

My first year marching corps was '74. I had never seen a drum corps contest before I was in one. Those first few shows introduced me to the traditions I inherited. Those first shows, BD was always one of the first corps on, and amongst the first to leave during retreat. I can remember beating the Stockton Commodores, and Blue Rock, but finishing well behind the likes of Anaheim Kingsmen, Troopers, SCV, and many others. We usually played ourselves off to our closer, as we didn't have anything even resembling a corps song (I don't think we do even now, but Chase the Clouds Away may come closest). I always believed this was a way of paying respect to those who did better than us, and SCV was way better than us.

When '75 came along, things were a bit different. Imagine the very first show of the year. BD is still largely considered the new comer, having just made the top 12 the previous year (9th), and SCV is the defending DCI champions. BD beat SCV. b**bs Think about this. This is a huge jump or accomplishment. For the entire previous year, we routinely, maybe even religiously played (intentional) homage to SCV at every show we met. :worthy: First show of '75 and SCV played themselves off to BD. That had never happened before, ever. Now there were still shows that year where BD played off to SCV and Madison, maybe others, but you need to focus on what happened early that season. This would be like the first show of 2005, and the Boston Crusaders beating the Cavaliers. Imagine being a member of the 2005 Crusaders receiving a playoff from the Cavies. Granted the Cavies might not be too happy with this, but imagine how the members of the Crusaders would feel. Wow! Have we come into our own!

The playoff retreats were greatly enjoyed by the attendees as well. There was always the appreciation of the 'Class Acts' delivered during the exits. Examples of this would be the Madison soloist playing his solo not to the audience but to the victors. There were occasions where an entire corps would play to the victors. There were also times where the exiting corps would play nothing at all. So, yes, drama could exist even during playoffs (not to be confused with baseball). There was a great element of pride in being the last corps on the field.

As a side benefit, being one of the last corps on each night, you never get to see or hear any of the other corps stuff up close and personal. Retreat was quite the treat. You REALLY get to hear Danny Boy, or Send in the Clowns. That may be the ONLY time you get to hear many of the other corps. You might not even be aware of what the corps even play if they routinely appear two hours before your corps.

I felt, and still feel, that retreat was a good thing, both giving and receiving. You got to play something, sometimes quite important (corps song, etc.), for your own pride, for the victors, and for the audience. You also made a statement as to the stature or signature of your organization. This could be one of pride, class, or a group ready to rumble, whatever the case may be.

For the most part, the retreat exits were an event not to be missed.

I meant in the corps you march in, I've heard corps like Spirit teach their kids the History of the activity. Do any of the instructors/teachers teach you guys certain History about the activity was what I meant. Oh The book is on sale now, but if you can't afford that, they do have some videos that explain history. Like "Brass Roots" that's a good one that explains the History and how the activity got started.

But at least you want to learn the History and I think that's great. I guess I just thought that some corps teach History as well as the show they march.

Edited by Lancerlady

Since the corps finishing lower went off first, if the Bridgemen played "at the Regiment", one might say the Regiment had the "last laugh" that night!

Rocketman - Ha Ha Ha!

ampsuck

Final head to head score

PR 5, BM 3!

Edited by Rocketman

I meant in the corps you march in, I've heard corps like Spirit teach their kids the History of the activity. Do any of the instructors/teachers teach you guys certain History about the activity was what I meant. Oh The book is on sale now, but if you can't afford that, they do have some videos that explain history. Like "Brass Roots" that's a good one that explains the History and how the activity got started.

But at least you want to learn the History and I think that's great. I guess I just thought that some corps teach History as well as the show they march.

In my Garfield days (70-72), we learned all about the history of our corps, but certainly not about the nuts and bolts of "they marched like this" or "played like that"..and retreat styles would have NEVER come into it.

Mike