• Purple Lancers
    • Patriots
    • Mighty Liberators
    • Imperial Regiment
    • Others

johnric posted:

Long Island Kingsmen!!

My first corps!

I second that!! They were my first and ONLY corps for (16) years. Other than Purple Lancers and W.G. Squires at Ithaca, I don't believe any NY corps ever placed as high as we did in DCI Div. I. There were alot of LIK members who went on to march in other DCI corps after our 1980 season. I think there were at least a dozen in the 1981 Bridgemen, also some in 27th, Avant Garde, Blue Stars, Blue Devils, Sky Ryders, Spirit, Troopers. The last to age-out was Dwayne Barnes from the 1987 Sky Ryders. He left the Kingsmen corps flag on the field at Finals in Madison to honor all of us.

Now our kids are getting involved. Tomorrow is my (2) kids first drum corps camp with the Salina Silver Sabres! Hopefully many more will be joining corps soon.

LI Kingsmen were a great corps from NY.............. I should know as they usually beat my corps by more than a few points!! Congrats Dave on your kids getting involved with corps......The more the merrier!

<**>  to this survey

How can you have this survey without the LI Kingsmen.

Because I did!!!  I was thinking more Upstate (sorry).  I agree the Kingsmen were good in the 80's.  I still remember them playing "All Night Long" and singing it in the staff van ALL NIGHT LONG!

Hi Dave

johnric posted:

I second that!!  They were my first and ONLY corps for (16) years.  Other than Purple Lancers and W.G. Squires at Ithaca, I don't believe any NY corps ever placed as high as we did in DCI Div. I.  There were alot of LIK members who went on to march in other DCI corps after our 1980 season.  I think there were at least a dozen in the 1981 Bridgemen, also some in 27th, Avant Garde, Blue Stars, Blue Devils, Sky Ryders, Spirit, Troopers.  The last to age-out was Dwayne Barnes from the 1987 Sky Ryders.  He left the Kingsmen corps flag on the field at Finals in Madison to honor all of us.

Now our kids are getting involved.  Tomorrow is my (2) kids first drum corps camp with the Salina Silver Sabres!  Hopefully many more will be joining corps soon.

best of luck to your kids Dave!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's the deal. I'm on the west coast, so I chose the the coprs on the list, although I am in agreement about it obvious limitations.

St. Joes. Big spender. 'Nough said.

Now on a personal note, The Watkins Glen Squires holds a special place in my heart as there was an incredibly beautiful woman who marched with them who I was intimately intersted in. Blonde, glasses and "Always got what she wanted".

Mike Braga

SCV 1973 - 1975

SCV TOR 2004

<**> to this survey

How can you have this survey without the LI Kingsmen.

Hi Dave

Hey Mike!! How's things? It is really great to know a few people still remember us.

By the way, there is a new corps forming on L.I. You can see info on it at www.seldencadets.org and follow the Jr. Corps Info link. My Dad is going to be at the initial organization meeting to show support.