a question for any trumpet/soprano player

gbass714

i just wanted to ask for a bunch of opinions on the subject. i for one, like upstream much better. i jsut switched to it and my range has increased a lot with it.

post away

If you're talking about a "german/french" upstream embouchure where you tilt the horn upwards I think it's more natural for someone with an underbite. ie, Sammy Davis Jr. having an extreme underbite would be doing the upstream tilt if he were to seriously play trumpet. I believe you should play on what's most comfortable with the teeth set,etc. that you have. I myself am comfortable playing straight on and wouldn't be comfortable playing with horn tilted up.

Here's one......ever try a Walt Johnson embouchure??? It's where you shift gears from your normal straight on set to tucking your lower lip slightly under your top lip for notes past say double high F. It to me too....is a weird feeling and I can't see myself comfortable playing that way. But,,,hey It worked for Walt so more power to him,no? :sumo:

Philbert

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to learn to play one way or the other is a joke...

Learn what is best for YOUR physical makeup.

That is the point of the pivot system.

Trust me, it is NOT a quick fix to make you scream. Its a daily set that I use to lock things in (for lack of better words).

If your face and teeth is made to play downstream then great! Upstream then cool!

I'm a downstreamer yet I can still rip a dubba C cold (and I don't play that often anymore).

And to the one that said this is new school ideas.... Well the piviot system has been around for years. I belive it was written in the 30's

Find what is best for you, get a good teacher and have them show you the way.

Now if they pop out the Art of Brass Playing RUN!!!!

Forgive me for not rolling back through several hundred posts, but this seems to be all about range.

It is your tone quality that must determine your approach. Find the set that produces the best overall sound, be it up, down or out your ear. Then work with an experienced, competent teacher (who has good tone) to develop the flexibility required for mastering the compass of the instrument.

Range without tone is quite meaningless.

Forgive me for not rolling back through several hundred posts, but this seems to be all about range.

It is your tone quality that must determine your approach. Find the set that produces the best overall sound, be it up, down or out your ear. Then work with an experienced, competent teacher (who has good tone) to develop the flexibility required for mastering the compass of the instrument.

Range without tone is quite meaningless.

Yeah, I think the original poster was talking about when he's switched to an upstream set his range went up.....or something. I posted that usually folks with an underbite like Sammy Davis, would have the best luck with that set. I totally agree with what ever set is most comfortable for YOU,etc. I also agree about the tone quality for range. If I can't hit a phat high note.....I don't hit it. I hate squeely little high notes,heh.

Lot's of fast velocity air and strong corners to hold down the fort!! B)

PHil/experienced teacher since 1983

Pro player today playing since 1967

while playing high notes is fun, the guys who make the most money are the people with the best tone and a decent range to accompany that... not vice versa. I would bet adolph herseth made, and probably sitll makes much more money than any lead player who is looking for the easiest way to make everyones ears bleed. When it's all said and done, it's all about making music, and people who can't do that are out of a job.