a question for any trumpet/soprano player

gbass714

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the physical shape of your mouth, but I prefer a straight on stream. It is the most efficient way to move the air.

I've always preferred downstream and it never affected my tone or range. I just feel more relaxed.

Straight on is always the best for me. I've never really understood why people would play differently, but I guess everyone has a different mouth and style...

Well when i was tought to play a marching french horn, they told me to use a Tee toung. That didnt go so well. When i went to the Racine Scouts, they told me to use a Dee toung cause you arch your toung and you get a louder sound. I like loud and i use the same technic on my trumpet. So in other words i dont know witch way my air goes. Someone help out a converted drummer.

Edited by Racine_Bari18

Well when i was tought to play a marching french horn, they told me to use a Tee toung. That didnt go so well. When i went to the Racine Scouts, they told me to use a Dee toung cause you arch your toung and you get a louder sound. I like loud and i use the same technic on my trumpet. So in other words i dont know witch way my air goes. Someone help out a converted drummer.

upstream is when you blow the air up into the mouthpiece, thus downstream is blowing down into the mouthpiece. pretty much upstream looks like when a trumpet is aimed up from the lips and down is aimed down from the lips.

i like uppstream a lot more because if you do it right your range is increased extremely. it is right taht i get a edgier sound, but i kinda like it.

Yeah, I play downstream in my sitting-down ensembles (those pesky wind ensembles and concert bands) and upstream in my standing-up ensembles (hooray for jazz bands, drum corps, and such). Whenever I am playing in the upper octave, I'm always blowing upstream.