a question for any trumpet/soprano player

gbass714

I think that you guys should focus on one thing  Breath Dah

Listen to this guy! He is right! And for CORPS...it should always be straight through the mouthpiece! Maybe experiment in Jazz, Air will help your upper range, well, and your lower...Air is the answer!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Going back to a post made earlier... I'm a beliver in the piviot system. I play down stream and have what most people call a "reverse piviot". I hate when people try to play upstream just to increase range only to get a thin sound.

But here is a good site on the pivot system.

http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/v...s.asp?ArtID=240

By the way for now.

IIIB

Tounge type III

Go practice the dang thing. No one is going to get any better talking about doing it!

Interesting that you imply that the people who talk about such things do not practice the horn...and that there is no benefit about discussing how the embouchure works.

I find that your skills will peak if you do not have a fundamental understanding of how the embouchure works. The Pivot System discusses the inherent problems of some embouchures and exercises tailored to each unique embouchure to correct these problems.

Furthermore, those that do practice know that you may not practice a brass instrument for an extended period of time with out negative repercussions. Many people practice a routine similar to of 20 min on the horn 1 hour off for many hours daily. Not only does the limited time necessitate efficient practice, but it also leaves a lot of time to learn about the embouchure you are using while you are resting.

Leaning about the embouchure is not only beneficial for your own playing, but is very necessary for teaching purposes. When a student asks you a simple yet complex question such as "should I change my embouchure?" you should be knowledgeable to make an informed reply to them. Even if your intelligent reply explains why you are not qualified to make such an adjustment. To ignore the fundamental workings of the embouchure is truly naive of any player. I think at about intermediate-advanced level player should begin the journey of attempting to understand how it works.

Why would we need knowledgeable teachers for advanced students in the first place? To tell you that you fracked a note? To tell you to practice long tones, flexibility exercises, practice with a tuner and met? To practice out of your Arbans/Abersolds daily? To listen to great players?....Personally, I know these things already....the benefit comes from studying with somebody who truly understands and has mastered their embouchure and playing concept and can pass that information along. To help you understand what caused you to frack the note....what causes the limited flexibility.....

I am a believer of when I am playing to focus strongly on sound rather than method of execution. Do not misinterpret these words as you do not need to know about your embouchure.

This is all I have to say about this subject.

-Lukehart

hence why I added the website... www.bbtrumpet.com

Pops McClaughlin know's his ****. Knowing about how your embouchure works is like knowing how to swing in baseball. It's great to have the "ideal" swing/embouchure, but how many professional baseball players have the "ideal" swing. Furthermore, Do you think dizzy gillespie had any knowledge about his embouchure worked? No. Is he better then you and me. Probably. Better yet, did Chet Baker play with the ideal embouchure and technique? No. Will he stay in history as one the jazz greats? Yes. There is a certain point where you overanalyze. The trumpet great Adolph Herseth once said "I just put the horn to my face and blow". When Arturo Sandoval first got a trumpet when he was litte, he practiced until his lips ran fresh with blood. What kind of mouthpiece does he play? A 3c. Why? Because " can go to any store and find one". The fact of the matter is that yes you can sit here and debate about which is mouthpiece is better then which, and which embouchure can make you scream like manyard and what trumpet will make you play cool like miles and what is better about upstream or downstream until the cows come home BUT you physically as a player will not get better. So I suggest stop debating about which is cooler and go practice.