Favorite Brass Instructor?

Tom Lizotte- he actually taught me during my time with 27. We also became friends and I know he still teaches some today, but he impresses me cause he remembers little things. Like what kind of a mouth piece I had to switch to because we discovered I was playing on a wrong mouth piece that was hindering my tone quality. He's a great teacher any corps would be lucky to have.

Tom was with us (Brigs) last week end, very nice guy !!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan "Darth" Farrell. The baritone dark side.

I have 2 favorite Brass Instructors...

#1. - Kelly Kellner - Marion Cadets member 68 through 74

& Brass Inst. from 76 til his untimely death in 1979.

(and he was my big brother)

#2. - John Rezabeck - Marion Cadets Brass Staff 1983 to 1986

I have to add my favorites:

Bob Zazzara - While not known all over the country, Bob could take a horn line and pull sounds out of it that even the brass players didn't know they had in them. He worked with many corps in upstate NY, as well as was a judge.

Donny Allen - While I only worked with Donny last year with CRU, I learned so much from him. Just a great guy.

Add my name to the list of Tom Lizotte fans.

He taught our little corps bari line.

He was so meticulous and thoughtful it couldn't help but rub off on you.

More importantly, he was the one who turned me on to the whole west coast jazz thing. A passion I carry with me today.

Edited by dckid80

I have to add what may be an obscure entry:

Ray Eyler - 1971-1976 Charioteers brass caption head, sometime arranger, and all around wonderful human being!

and a comtemporary brass icon:

Gino Cipriani - 2000-2002, 2005 Cadets Brass Caption head (the members would take a bullet for him)

What do I know? I was a drummer! :P

Probably not given enough credit for the monster he built, but I'd like to add Richard "Rocco" Oliverio's name to the list.  When he took over the horn line of The Anaheim Kingsmen in 1966 things got "different" real fast and the corps took on a whole level of professionalism.  He made us work hard and he made us find the desire within ourselves and our comrades to work even harder.....enough to be true champions.

So, thanks, Roc, you made my last jr. year a great one....and yeah, I did carry some of what I learned over to other hornlines I taught: if not so much in technique itself but certainly in wanting to instill the desire and the fire I learned in The Kingsmen.

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

04 Fresno Ferns

http://www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

I would have to agree with you. I mean he took 44 horns in 1974 and almost won DCI! What other Corps with 44 horns came that close? What a sound!

The 72 Kingsmen won DCI with "Rocco" as a horn instructor.

Good call Ron.

GABA

Bob Pearson - Long Island KIngsmen

Tom Lizotte- 27th Lancers

Both, great guys, so knowledgeble and helped turn out good horn lines.

Tom P. introduces an important point: all the great teachers were taught by and interacted with other great teachers. As an example, Bill Hayes (Blessed Sac, St. Catherine's) taught John Sasso (St. Catherine's, St. Lucy's, Sunrisers) who taught Wayne Downey, who taught John Meehan and Gino...etc. The past is prologue.

You beat me to Bill Hayes in the book of Genesis.

Going a bit farther down I-95; Bob Adair and Lee Wolf influenced folks like Ray Eiler and Larry Kerchner who have been followed by several from today's generation.