Favorite Brass Instructor?

Give us your opinion and why

I have a couple......

Ted Key (Toronto, Ontario)..... Ted was the reason that our little drum corps in North Tonawanda, NY was so much better in 1976. He taught us basic music theory and made playing music exciting. I have the utmost respect for this great music educator.

Donnie Allen.....Although I was older, I learned alot from Donnie while working with him with the Rochester Crusaders. I learned about playing better and how to teach in a DCA horn line. If I were to rank my favos it would be Donnie Allen, Ted Key, and Steve Cooley.

Who's yours?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted Key taught many junior and seniro corps in Ontarion and NY state but is probably best know as the drum major and musical composer and director of the 2nd Signal Regiment in Toronto - Canada's Marching Ambassadors. Today Ted is the musical director of the DCAT Chorus (Drum Corps ALumni - Toronto). This alumni group has about 80 members from at least 40 drum corps from southern Ontaio and upper NY state abd about 50 of the members sing in the chorus. Check out the DCAT web site www.dcatchorus.ca

Don Kaihatsu. What he taught, you'd remember--it was as much personality as the material presented. And that he was able to get so much out of such young kids (in Phantom Regiment Cadets) was even more impressive. I understand that he's done as much with many other groups. As an instructor, he truly reaches his students, and inspires them to excellence.

Dan Farrell. I was honored and humbled to even stand in his horn arc. Talk about an unflinching, take nothing less than perfect approach to brass. To me, the Regiment sound was as much about Jim Wren's arrangements as it was about his approach to them. The ultimate interpreter of the Regiment approach to drum corps sound.

Chuck Naffier. I learned more about drum corps and how to play a bugle from Chuck than from anyone else. He turned what might have been one failed year in drum corps playing low-part soprano and fostered something in me that I haven't ever been able to shake...a real love for the activity and all it can mean, to so many people. That, and how to play and march at the same time. :P

We've got some great people in drum corps, don't we? We're all lucky to know them.

Great thread.

Jack Mehan- The brass guru whom I learned so much from. The man taught a mental approach that was very optimistic. Jack had a very profound influence on me. While I am at it, his son John worked with the Renegades this year. I am very impressed with what John is able to accomplish with one or two key phrases that get to the heart of the matter and have instant results.

Wayne Downey. The pleasure of playing this mans charts should be enough, having him worked the ensemble truly brings out the joy in his music.

Jim MacFarland and Frank Dorritie. These two are my new brass guru's. Both have a very unique and interspective way of approaching the music and the activety. Jim's inner focus on doing what feels good and listening to your body and emotions. Franks knowledge and history of the activety expanding our knowledge of the family we perform within. Truly a pleasure to have these guy's on staff this year.

:blink::blink::blink:

Cliff Colnut. Actually not so much from him but he made it manditory that the entire hornline in 76 took personal lessons from various music professors at Northwestern University he knew. Unheard of back then. Hours of free lessons from professional musicians ... priceless.

Jim Elvord 77. An incredible teacher. Not only how to play music but how to perform.

I learned more in those two summers then I did my entire music career.

Dan Farrell - Although Festive pretty much summed it up, I learned more from Dan Farrell than in my previous years combined. He is the real deal. Jim wrote great music and Dan taught us to make the most of it.

Three for me...

#1 Mike (can't remember his last name). He was my first corps instructor when I was with the Buccs. He was the band director of Bad Axe. Great guy.

#2 Donny Allen. One man I will never forget. I learned more from him than I did from any professor in college.

#3 Steve Cooley. Mr. Tech-meister.... Between him and Donny they made so many old corps references, I don't think many knew what they were talking about....

Luv you all!!