Favorite Brass Instructor?

Wayne & Jack. Enough said.

From my Suncoast days...

Frank Williams (or as we knew him, Frank T. Williams da third) and John Williams (my HS band director and Suncoast's contra tech from 84-86).

Everything I've accomplished in music I owe to those two gentlemen.

Frank was the man. I learned more about playing the brass instrument from him than all the others combined. Frank never let you accept anything but your best. And how lucky were we to have John Fulton as a band director (whom I still think of as Mr. Fulton)? He was awesome.

Wayne Downey and Dave Carico were awesome too.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I suck. I had "Williams" on the brian when I was writing that post...while thinking about John Fulton and Frank, and writing that post, I was mixing a concert in Pro Tools that featured...wait for it...some John Williams music.

I never had a chance. :worthy:

Probably not given enough credit for the monster he built, but I'd like to add Richard "Rocco" Oliverio's name to the list. When he took over the horn line of The Anaheim Kingsmen in 1966 things got "different" real fast and the corps took on a whole level of professionalism. He made us work hard and he made us find the desire within ourselves and our comrades to work even harder.....enough to be true champions.

So, thanks, Roc, you made my last jr. year a great one....and yeah, I did carry some of what I learned over to other hornlines I taught: if not so much in technique itself but certainly in wanting to instill the desire and the fire I learned in The Kingsmen.

RON HOUSLEY

67 Anaheim Kingsmen

04 Fresno Ferns

http://www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

Edited by ffernbus3

I never had him for a brass instructor, but since he's gone way beyond "...just a little help..." in assisting me in returning to the fold of brass arrangers, I have to cast a vote here for KEN NORMAN.

Thanks, Ken....for everything! You are indeed, sir, a gentleman and a scholar!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Donnie Van Doren- probably the most motivating individual I have ever come in contact with. Taught so much more then the notes. There isn't a week that goes by that something he said doesn't pop in my head.

Jim Prime Jr.- A true genius. So low key and humble. Showed the world that more is not always better.

Dave Tippet- What a great guy. He had so much to say and always knew how to get it across.

Gino Cipriani- Great teacher, and one of the best motivators I've ever been around, he just really could get me focused and prepared for a show and for rehearsal everyday. I really enjoy his serious teaching mixed with a little humor, and his sometimes brutal honesty. He also writes arguably the best brass technique books in DCI. He's very passionate about what he does, and I really like his conducting style.

Chad Pence- Great low brass instructor who seems to really enjoy his work, and has a funny, dry sense of humor.

Jim Rogers- One of the best trumpet players I've heard, and a great teacher. He seemed to really love teaching, and loved the whole drum corps atmosphere, and he really hyped me up, great guy.

As we span the years... we are pretty much covering the history of drum corps brass... being old, as you might expect, my list would tend to be well... OLD - but I had the priviledge of playing in lines under these guys...

impressive list...

Brad Londgo (Mike's Father) best I ever worked under - never gets the credit he deserves... (or maybe it's just that there's too few of us left)

Corky Fabrizio - knew drum corps better than anyone - cleaned as he taught

Ken Norman - yes I had the priviledge - got more out of a line with his foot than most do with their heart and soul...

Wayne Downey - he was young at the time but he sure learned well didn't he?

Dominic Del Ra - just the nicest guy to work for... besides he invented the mellophone... that gets big points from me...

Dr. Jack Bullock - musician's musician

Truman Crawford - need anymore be said?

Dr. Ed Mizma - was a brilliant scientist which often showed in his music but a delight to work under... most responsible for the 1965 super corps in Rochester...

Sal Sparazza - great Rochester pro player who loved drum corps and was a GREAT arranger

Then there was a litinany of unsung heros who worked the lines I was in who were the men who made the above guys look good...

Ray Shahin - wonderful band director (Bishop Kearney) and great teacher

Dickie Robillato - where would Corky have been without Dickie? Peanut butter and jelly...

Hugh Burritt - currently head of the music department at SUNY Oswego - great teacher and player - played in Sevrinson's band when he was young.

Bruce Burritt - Hugh's cousin and the creator of the West Genesee Band dynasty later to be instrumental in BOA judging

Steve Cooley - as many mentioned... a good one for sure and great guy

Roger Eckers - local pro musician, very very talented

Eddie Cozzelino - made St. Joe's and was a great drum corps guy

and dozens of others...

Tom P. introduces an important point: all the great teachers were taught by and interacted with other great teachers. As an example, Bill Hayes (Blessed Sac, St. Catherine's) taught John Sasso (St. Catherine's, St. Lucy's, Sunrisers) who taught Wayne Downey, who taught John Meehan and Gino...etc. The past is prologue.

Exactly...

often it's like reading family trees... and just like so many go back to the Sasso Family, can you imagine how many go back to Hy Dreitzer? or Gus Wilke?

and we've only talked about brass men...

I would love to see a tree of everyone who ever taught percussion who has ties back to Bobby Thompson...

oh and on my list, I forgot Joe Buncie... how could I forget Joe? He just passed in August. I'm sure there's many others I've missed.