Favorite Brass Instructor?

and for all you neophytes

there is another interesting point here... despite what many in DCI would like to believe (especially the younger generations)

those staff bloodlines beyond the last 10 years or so, almost invariably go back to senior corps...

Yes, senior corps created junior corps to replenish their ranks mainly and also, just because we COULD create them - and it was fun to teach them...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, senior corps created junior corps to replenish their ranks mainly and also, just because we COULD create them - and it was fun to teach them...

Just wondering if you have a link to information about this? Not that I don't believe you, I just like reading about the history of Drum Corps.

Thanks.

Chris,

You should read "History of Drum Corps" vol 1, it's available from Drun Corps World Publications and tells the story of the evolution of modern junior corps... good winter reading-put it on your Christmas list.

Frank T. Williams is still going strong these days, and still talks about you guys constantly.  "Why, back at Suncoast, all the members of my hornline would do..."

He's the brass teacher I'll miss the most (and the bizarre stories only he could tell).

I'll have to add my vote for Frank Williams too - learned more about quality brass playing in two summers from Frank T that in the rest of my brass history.

Jeff Miller

87-88 Suncoast Sound

2004-05 Jackson Generals

Exactly...

often it's like reading family trees...  and just like so many go back to the Sasso Family, can you imagine how many go back to Hy Dreitzer?  or Gus Wilke?

and we've only talked about brass men...

I would love to see a tree of everyone who ever taught percussion who has ties back to Bobby Thompson...

oh and on my list, I forgot Joe Buncie...  how could I forget Joe?  He just passed in August.  I'm sure there's many others I've missed.

hmmm,, Gus Wilkie, and Boby Thompson...hhhmmm... now where have I heard those names.. :P

Have to add a plug for Don Taylor here. Although I never got to play in one of his lines (much to my chagrin), I've spent many hours watching him rehearse a line and discussing technique with him and he's just a fabulous instructor.

Great brass instructors just have something that makes you want to be great when you're in their line, and Don has that in spades.

"...The past is prologue...." I liked that line! And when you look at our family tree the roots run pretty deep and you can follow them all the way out to the newest and youngest leaves.

I was taught originally by guys from the Culver City, CA, Imperials senior corps and I think some of those guys roots were Hawthorne Cabs and Skyliners.

On the other hand, I was also taught by the then "Young Turks" like Pete Emmons, Fred Sanford and Rocco Oliverio at 67 Kingsmen and, before I dropped out of serious drum corps, was around to hang with a younger than I Wayne Downey, and just a little bit with another then-new guy, Jim Ott....and just a little older Gayle Royer when I moved to Santa Clara in 1972 to arrange for a couple B corps and learn from the masters.

When I look at where guys like the above mentioned got to in their drum corps (and music in general) careers, I couldn't feel richer for the experience(s) I got to have with them.

Oh, and props to my friend and fellow instructor, the late Stan Knaub, another who contributed greatly to look of modern drum corps.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• 3 weeks later...

Donnie Van Doren

Jim Prime Jr.

They changed the game... forever, and many DCI horn lines will always be better because of their vision. The people who were fortunate enough to learn from them, are teaching the players of today, and tomorrow.

I thank them for the legacy.