Favorite Brass Instructor?

John Zimny- John was my drum corps daddy. He had a way about him that was just cool. And, he wrote some great arrangements. For someone who's own dad was not really there for me at that time in my life, JZ was and I appreciate that to this day.

Richie Hodge- Richie "Dolphin" Hodge was a master at cleaning. He was one of the most understated and low key guys I ever met, but he really knew his stuff.

Chris Nalls- Or as I knew him back in the day, Mr Hype. He actually made us a really loud hornline in 91 and 92. I always enjoyed a Chris Nalls brass sectional or ensemble rehersal! The energy the guy displayed (weird toes and all) was simply through the roof!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my husband (1st sop) would say, Larry Kerchner, Jim Prime Jr., Donny Van Doran, Frank Dorritie & Jerry Kelsey to name a few.

Agree on Frank...he was or brass guy in 71, though I played tri-toms.

I'd add Don Angelica to the list. I played bari in 1972, and Don was our primary brass instructor. A GREAT teacher.

He used to have a group of us music majors up to his house where he'd work with us on arranging. He assigned each of us a piece, we arranged it for the corps, and then the corps would read it through and Don would critique our charts. Mine was "Johnny Comes Marching Home".

Mike

My very very very first horn instructor was Chris Nalls--for one day--and I got to play loud on a contra in 1982 at a VK rehearsal.

I think my favorite overall horn instructor would be Dr. Greg Woll. I think personally he could have been on par with ANY horn instructor in the activity given his level of talent and knowledge. I just always had the slight feeling that he just didn't want to get into it that deeply. GREAT instructor though my thoughts notwithstanding...

Tom Lizotte- he actually taught me during my time with 27. We also became friends and I know he still teaches some today, but he impresses me cause he remembers little things. Like what kind of a mouth piece I had to switch to because we discovered I was playing on a wrong mouth piece that was hindering my tone quality. He's a great teacher any corps would be lucky to have.

Frank Dorritte-I actually kept a note he wrote all of us when he wrote our charts in 1986, he said, "Thanks for sharing your talents with the 27th Lancers Stephanie, Frank". I kept it..pretty cheesy thing for me to keep uh? :)

David Tippett. Great teacher. I have never met anyone who knows how to get a brassline off the ground like Dave. He was one of the reasons the Glassmen got so big so fast in the early ninties.(if my chronology isn't off. . .)

Chris Nalls- Or as I knew him back in the day, Mr Hype. He actually made us a really loud hornline in 91 and 92. I always enjoyed a Chris Nalls brass sectional or ensemble rehersal! The energy the guy displayed (weird toes and all) was simply through the roof!

LOL,

Chris is the man. I can't say that he changed my playing as I was too old by the time we met. I can say that this man is the master of making something out of nothing. I have personally witnessed his creation of the Renegades LOUD, mini-corps, money-corps and a good time where ever he goes. My personal favorite......the infinitrill.