Favorite Brass Instructor?

Hey Matt, DITTO!

So cool that they are both in the Hall of Fame now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are great instructors made great by the great brass players they attract, or are great brass players made by great instructors?

If you agree it is the latter, then I would throw down three names that I had the pleasure of being tutored by:

You've mentioned one - Dave Tippett - love the man, love the teaching, love the philosophy he imparts.

Don Hill and Rick Young - both brass instructors for the Blue Stars in the 70's and early 80's. These guys had their work cut out for them having a brass line that typically did not come together until May. No winter program to speak of for these guys to build on. When the bodies came together, many of them were non-brass players converted to soprano/baritone/contra. Imagine in this day and age taking a brass line from nothing at the beginning of the competitive season and making them a top 5 horn line come DCI finals. These two guys along with the help of some great section techs were able to do just that year after year. They worked wonders with those hornlines.

Having marched with the Blue Stars from 74-81, I always thought we had some very good talent, but it wasn't until I moved to LA and started working and participating in the west coast scene that I realized the talent there was much greater than what we had to work with most of the years I was in Wisconsin.

I also enjoyed working with Chris Nalls and Jim McFarland in Modesto the summer of '84. They are two great teachers!

Edited by BigSev

Dennis Argul

For execution there was none better than Pepe Nataro. He could clean 2 points out of a horn show in a night. He had a way of explaining things that was quite unique and understandable. I think it was because he knew the level of the kids he was working with, and related to them on that level. And when he talked, you listened, oh did you listen. He could be quite intimidating, and also could be a ton of fun, if you got the work done. All he expected was your best, you gave it and you were rewarded. You didn't and you got "the Axe". He was an example and mentor for dozens of technicans who went on to teach numerous championship corps.

He truly was a legend.....

For arranger, Hy was the man. Talk about a sound..... No need to say anything else but listen to his music....

Fave Brass Instructors:

The late, great "Jumpin Joe" Genero. His "credits" include St Catherine's Queensmen (one of our all time faves), Our Lady of Loretto Knights, St Raphaels Buccaneers, Milford Police Cadets, St Aedens Emerald Cadets, Hawthorne Caballeros, Connnecticut Huirricanes, New Bedford Whalers, Rhode Island Matadors, and the Port Ewen Criterions.

Elphaba

I'm going to go with Donnie Van Doren and Matt Harloff. I've known Matt since I was in 6th grade, where he was my study hall teacher. I learned so much from this guy about being a brass player and music education. I am really lucky to have had him as a band director and then to be able to march 4 more years in another one of his hornlines.

I really didn't know much about Donnie until we were auditioning and one of the guys goes "Holy crap! Donnie Van Doren was in my audition room!" He proceeded to tell me about him. I ended up being his son's seat partner last summer and this summer as well. I now drive down to Bloomington and hitch rides with the Van Doren's to camp. He has been really welcoming to me in letting me ride with them instead of having to fly to every camp. I learn a lot from him in practice but also riding in the car down to Ft. Mill.

I feel very fortunate to be involved in a program where I can learn how to teach. Being surrounded by people like the previously mentioned has made me feel more comfortable as I begin to be a music educator. I am looking forward to the experiences to come.

Edited by AmelloGuy

Fave Brass Instructors:

The late, great "Jumpin Joe" Genero.  His "credits" include St Catherine's Queensmen (one of our all time faves), Our Lady of Loretto Knights, St Raphaels Buccaneers, Milford Police Cadets, St Aedens Emerald Cadets, Hawthorne Caballeros, Connnecticut Huirricanes, New Bedford Whalers, Rhode Island Matadors, and the Port Ewen Criterions.

Elphaba

Add to that Connecticut Royal Lancers, ND-ettes, as well as the Buccaneers feeder corp the Musketters and the St. Raphael's all-girl corps the Marrionettes. Yes, St. Raphael's had 3 corps going at one time..... Ahh the good old days...

And Joe taught about 5 corps a year, each year.... How did he ever do it.....

I also have to echo Matt's sentiments....

Don VanDoren & Jim Prime, Jr. :whistle:

Breathe, DAH!

Great thread (and not just because I got a mention).

I would say...

Jack Meehan - best man in front of an arc I have ever met.

Wayne Downey - what can you say - the most successful Brass guy ever.

Frank Dorritie - taught me a ton about performance and jazz.

Tim Salzman - absolute master of ensemble rehearsal.

Jim McFarland - unerring instincts for quality and the king of loud.

John Meehan - he is doing incredible work with the BD hornline.

• 4 weeks later...

Donnie VanDoren, Jim Prime Jr.

Two of the best!

What about staff members that have worked with these two great men like Barry Hudson, Tim "Shorty" Bartholomew, Frank Sullivan, Matt Harloff.

Just to mention a few.

Edited by Fudge