Ludwig Percussion

Boston '99 was the last corps to use Ludwig in DCI. Empire last used Ludwig in '01. What I've heard about their drums would make Premier drums look good.

it's INSANE for Ludwig to have fallen so far.

The first few years I watched corps, they had Madison, BD, Phantom, Spirit, Boston...

Now they can't even build a decent set of marching drums for the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps (anyone ever wonder why the MDBC uses Japanese drums and Canadian cymbals? No fault of theirs- they need the best equipment avaliable, but lets go USA- make them a custom set of world class stuff!!!).

It seems they have given up on trying to keep up with the innovations of modern marching percussion. Too bad, because Musser still makes great stuff, especially the Piper vibraphone, and I like the tone and pedal action of the newer Ludwig timps.

My university uses ludwig, and it has become nothing but a giant headache with those things, they first sent us a set of tenors that had this HUGE wood frame around it, that just made those things weigh a ton. I'm not the biggest fan of their snare strainer system. Ludwig is trying to get back into the actvity by endorsing a number of college lines. To my knowledge I think there's only a handful that are actual sponsored Ludwig users. I think its gonna take alot more time, and effort on their part to put out an exceptional product to get back to their golden years.

Yeah, Ludwig has taken a nose-dive in quality, customer service and promotion. Considering how they dominated in the late seventies-early eighties, I'm really surprised.

Just as sad is Slingerland. Gibson Guitars bought the name and now the drums are made in Arkansas. I bet if they re-started a top-grade line of marching percussion, people would use them in droves.

Yeah, Ludwig has taken a nose-dive in quality, customer service and promotion. Considering how they dominated in the late seventies-early eighties, I'm really surprised.

Just as sad is Slingerland. Gibson Guitars bought the name and now the drums are made in Arkansas. I bet if they re-started a top-grade line of marching percussion, people would use them in droves.

Ludwig's ability and interest in competing for the best marching product ended when Bill Ludwig II sold the company to Selmer in the early 80s. As a family business, Ludwig was keenly aware of the importance of their marching product toward the overall line of drums and accessories, but Selmer's mindset is not really geared toward innovation within the Ludwig brand. Ludwig still sells a fair number of drums, but most of them are student kits to entry level drummers, and I'd guess that most of their marching percussion sales are to high schools whose directors aren't terribly equipment savvy or are on tight budgets.

The new Slingerland, it should be noted, is a very exclusive brand, and while the drums are being made in Arkansas now, the attention to detail is extremely high - as are the prices. There's no chance of them re-entering the marching market.