DCI 1982

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1982 Montreal....the memories!

Funny, no one else has mentioned this but while we were warming up outside of Olympic Stadium on the morning of finals for our rehearsal inside, it began to snow.....there were snow flurries in August!

I remember having a small note pad inside my uniform jacket that I took out to write down the scores.  Coming in 5th during prelims, I was prepared to snap to attention when they reached the 5th place announcement.....except it was Madison!  Wow....ok.....we must be 4th then, right?  Wrong again!  I began to shake when they announced Phantom....they were so good!

Once they finally announced us in 3rd, I was overjoyed!  We accomplished so much that summer....we were the best Garfield Cadet corps of the DCI-era.  I think we all realized that night just how on the doorstep we were.  I feel so fortunate to have been able to have been a part of it. 

BTW, isn't it great to watch the show and not have Rondo & Rob McConnell babbling over the performances???

I wish I had known who you were back then. I was at one of the rehearsals in 82 I believe the day before finals. I remember meeting Sadie for the first time! Zingali was his usual mad self.....it was very touching.....I was with the DM from 79 & 80 (27) and George looked so at home as did Mark. It was a big change to see them teaching another corps that year and especially at finals.

The opening rifle move was :worthy: b**bs George said what do you think of that? I may have done this: :rolleyes::huh::huh::worthy::huh:

I wish I had known who you were back then.  I was at one of the rehearsals in 82 I believe the day before finals.  I remember meeting Sadie for the first time!  Zingali was his usual mad self.....it was very touching.....I was with the DM from 79 & 80 (27) and George looked so at home as did Mark.  It was a big change to see them teaching another corps that year and especially at finals. 

The opening rifle move was  :worthy:  b**bs  George said what do you think of that?  I may have done this:  :rolleyes:  :huh:  :huh:  :worthy:  :huh:

I was in the baritone section. Were you at the indoor rehearsal we had that friday evening after prelims? That was a fun night.

I used to keep in touch with Sue Covitz but we lost each other long ago. Any idea of where she is or how she's doing?

I remember you George! thats because you still look exactly the same!!! :P

Thanks John...you haven't changed that much either. My jacket still fits (although it was much roomier 23 <ugh> years ago!) :)

• 1 month later...

GARFIELD CADETS

Holy crap - were they out there in '82. I don't know how the judges were able to judge the drill. It was really, really really really - did I say really different than anybody else back then. It was funny seeing the guard with rifles - yet what a kick-### rifle line they were - why did they get rid of them for '83? And that guard was intense!!!!!! I remember always being a little afraid of the Garfield Guard Girls -you just didn't mess with them. The funny thing is seeing that they only have 6 contras - thats just so wierd to watch!!!! Althugh they won it all in '83 - this show is definately the one to watch to fully understand how Garfield changed the face of drum corps.

This is the show I've watched most often on the DVD - great show!!!!!!!!! I wonder if people back then were like "Wow they're so cool, we'd better watch out for them" or "what the #### are they doing - why aren't they doing mirror drill".

IMO the hornline was one of the best I have heard in a long time. My last year marching was 1979, but what a massive sound. I am told by many who attended that night that the DVD does not do justice to the real thing...do they ever?