DCI 1982

GENERAL COMMENTS

1) Wow, did we ever have alot of hair in those days

2) Is it just me, or were glasses HUGE - they covered the entire faceĀ  :blink:

3) Drill seems so ssssslllllooooowwwwwww compared to today

4) Drum lines rocked back then

5) Flag lines were kind of the forgotten step-child left in back of the corps to do right slams

6) Seeing xylophone players carrying their instruments and rocking out as they play is hilarious

7) Using one set of flags for the whole show is boring and didn't anyone ever get rid of sails back then

Your comments are pretty funny. I was one of the competitors that night and also have the 1982 Legacy dvd. Watching the dvd provided me with the opportunity to see some of the other finalists for the first time. Comparing corps then with corps today is like comparing apples to oranges.

Here is my response.

1) Yes, we did have a lot of hair back then. I miss having that much hair. :(

2) Yes, glasses were huge back then. Luckily, I didn't need glasses until 17 years later...and they don't cover my face. B)

3) You're right, drill was slow, including Garfield's. But that was the cutting edge back then and if you look closely, you can find influences for later drills. Thanks to Garfield and SCV '80, it was the end of the symmetrical drill era. That was definitely a good change. ^OO^

4) Drum lines did rock back then. Especially Bridgemen and BD.

5) Watch the guards again. I don't remember seeing Madison, SCV, Cavies, or us doing just basics for performance.

6) I respect any xylophone player who carried and played his/her equipment on the field of competition. :rolleyes: But there is no way even they can carry some of the equipment in use today.

7) Watch Spartacus again. We used T-flags in the opener, and changed silks for most of the show and the guard even used tambourines and shields. In the second drum solo (Battle), there was a flag exchange between the guard and hornline. The flags went out purple and came back red.

If my response appears more serious than what it is, it isn't. The fact that you're a fan of all the '82 Finalist shows is appreciated. Other than us, my three favorites from '82 are SCV, Bridgemen, and Crossmen. I also liked the Troopers and Geneseo Knights' shows from that year, too.

Thanks for a good review!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the 81 and 82 Legacy DVDs as Christmas gifts from my parents. (22 years later, and my parents are still supportive of my drum corps habit!!) What a treat to be able to see these shows again and share them with my son. I have been telling him stories of the Bridgemen and the 80s Blue Devils, so it is a lot of fun to show him what I am talking about.

Like jd83 said previously, as a competitor, we didn't always get to see the other units perform. Sometimes, you would here a little as you were coming into the stadium, and we would pass each other frequently during prep time. It is a real treat to have these.

Why did the rifle line remove their hats for the last part of the show???

If you look at the last push near the ending, we remove our hats so we could throw a five, summersalt, and catch our rifles. With the hats on, we either lost them while summersalting(tick b**bs ), or they were crushed. :rolleyes:

Yes the drills were slower than they are today, but what is bad about that? I mean, are the quality of the shows measured by how fast we run now?

Guards in '82 aren't much fun to watch anymore (sorry!!!)

Gotta disagree with you here. At least every guard had their own identity back then. We all had our own style, instead of the cookie cutter look of today were every guard tosses the same way, does simular dance steps, and have variations of the same uniform style. I know we each have our own opinion, and I respect that. I am sorry you cannot appreciate what we were doing back then, I really liked it myself.

one thing I think gets over looked about Bridgemen in 82 and 83. These are Scott Chandler color guards! While everyone ooos and ahs over the drum line, the guard was tight in 82 and even more so in 83. If it wasn't for us horn players we'd have done a lot better!!:)

Ahh,it was your fault. :P

That was a horrible stadium from an accoustics standpoint but a classic for being unique. My memory of the evening is very sureal. The show went effortlessly. I remember the olympic style retreat with the angelic music echoing throughout the dome while circling the field in a dream like state and finishing up with a victory. If didn't know better I'd say I was stoned :)

MADISON SCOUTS

One of the most advanced guards of the night (along with the Blue Devils).Ā  Guards in '82 aren't much fun to watch anymore (sorry!!!) but a couple of them were trying to do something differentĀ  and Madison is definately one of them.Ā  If you watch closely, the flag line does carving and 45 angle work.Ā  The rifle line is a hoot and what the #### are the middle rifles tossing on the pyramid toss - a 7????Ā  Too cool.

How can you say that? I wasn't in the color guard, but I certainly appreciate what they were doing more in 82, then what most do today which is drop alot of rifles and go "oops". :sshh: (That is when they do carry rifles).

Not ony was Madison's guard great but so was 27th Lancers and most others were so clean.

I'm one of those who was in the horn line so when I get the DVD's I look at the color guards now, I'm just amazed at what has been done. It's so entertaining to me. It puts me in awe!

This was the year I saw the 27th Lancers and knew I had to march! Playing that book "Seahawk" and "Can can" how can you not be entertained by that? :sshh:

Edited by Lancerlady

I just got the 81 and 82 Legacy DVDs as Christmas gifts from my parents.Ā  (22 years later, and my parents are still supportive of my drum corps habit!!)Ā  What a treat to be able to see these shows again and share them with my son.Ā  I have been telling him stories of the Bridgemen and the 80s Blue Devils, so it is a lot of fun to show him what I am talking about.Ā 

Like jd83 said previously, as a competitor, we didn't always get to see the other units perform.Ā  Sometimes, you would here a little as you were coming into the stadium, and we would pass each other frequently during prep time.Ā  It is a real treat to have these.

Who did you march with?

Edited by Jd83

How can you say that? I wasn't in the color guard, but I certainly appreciate what they were doing more in 82, then what most do today which is drop alot of rifles and go "oops". :sshh:Ā  (That is when they do carry rifles).

Not ony was Madison's guard great but so was 27th Lancers and most others were so clean.

I'm one of those who was in the horn line so when I get the DVD's I look at the color guards now, I'm just amazed at what has been done. It's so entertaining to me. It puts me in awe!

This was the year I saw the 27th Lancers and knew I had to march! Playing that book "Seahawk" and "Can can" how can you not be entertained by that? :sshh:

I'm not sure how but you have the commentary quote about '82 (originally given by this topic starter) attributed to me. I responded to his comments some post's back. I agree with you whole-heartedly about what guards were doing back then as opposed to now. Someone here in the posts said guards now days reminded them of "interpretive dance" class that only they themselves can interpret, leaving most of the crowd going: "uhhhh...very pretty, but uhhhh...HUH?" and I agree. The days of crisp rifle spins and tosses, rifles laying on their backs and spinning (ie: 27th), flags and rifles adding a military-esque (made that up, but you know what I mean) feel to corps is now gone, giving way to dance and flowing butterflies all over the place.