Star 1986

Okay, it may have been a bit ostentatious, but a cool effect non the less. :)

As I remember it, our extra contras never collected dust. There were always one or two on loan to some small corps in need somewhere.

so how many contra's was that during that one part?

:rolleyes:

I seem to recall 20 during that part in Close Encounters..I remember them having the extras sitting in the pit until that part of the show, and I think there were 12 or 14 regulars...Matt or Marilyn Tye would be the ones to ask.

I remember giving Jim Mason all kinds of s*** for those stupid rolling globe things early in the season.. He was always a good target for grief. I told him he shopuld have gone back to the Colts..I guess it was good he didn't take my abuse to heart.

Pat

Sounds like Star!  BTW...what ever happened to the horns??

Legend had it that maybe a couple of the K-90s that Glassmen used up through 2001 were old Star horns. I have no way to verify that, however; it may have just been something we told the rookies.

Veteran contra player: "Hey, rookie, we're short a couple players. Want to play contra?"

Rookie: "Those look painful; I'm not sure if that sounds like fun..."

VCP: "That's not what Star of Indiana said when they used these horns."

Rookie: "Holy crap, all right!"

Or something like that. I'm sure the horns were bought by a few corps, former Star members, and everybody with enough sense to appreciate the K-90. All I know is when Glassmen sold them before '02, they still went fast.

Or something like that.  I'm sure the horns were bought by a few corps, former Star members, and everybody with enough sense to appreciate the K-90.  All I know is when Glassmen sold them before '02, they still went fast.

It was great when Glassmen got a full set of new horns in '02, but I do miss those K-90s.

At least two of those contras have been converted to 3-valves and are now in use by the Erie Thunderbirds Alumni Corps.

It was great when Glassmen got a full set of new horns in '02, but I do miss those K-90s.

Yeah, some of my favorite bass lines couldn't be played on a two-valver, and I don't think the contra players missed the constant broken braces (the Brass Shop guy hated us, I think). But a section of 10 or 12 K-90s was both fat and phat.

At least two of those contras have been converted to 3-valves and are now in use by the Erie Thunderbirds Alumni Corps.

Converted to 3-valves? Sacrilege!

Teal picked up a K-90 in 2000, we speculated as to whether or not it was a Star horn. It did have stains on the silver of the bell very closely resembling the pattern that the ropes were tied on them for the 90?-91? seasons. And the stains themselves it was like a burned on image of twisted cord. So we always thought just maybe.

Edit: It was sold following the 02 season, I wanted to buy it, but another corps snatched it up before I had the money... :(

Edited by Phirefenix