100 Years of Drum & Bugle Corps

:P  :P

Hey Jim, did you know back in mid-60's, Westshore played a two valve (horizontal). bugle and DCA outlawed it...now look at what corps do? just a FYI....

I actually played one of them for a few months with Keystone Kavaliers (my first DC horn). So THAT'S where they came from. Donny Sollinger said Reading had some sops like that too. I keep skulking ebay for a Bari like this with no luck. One of the big reasons Keystone joined up with Westshore was the illegal horns (and lack of members).

And Jeff you are right about awkward. Your hands are only a few inches apart and it was hard to snap the horn up and down with any control. Wonder if it as more like a tenor Bari as it seemed small.

I actually played one of them for a few months with Keystone Kavaliers (my first DC horn). So THAT'S where they came from. Donny Sollinger said Reading had some sops like that too. I keep skulking ebay for a Bari like this with no luck. One of the big reasons Keystone joined up with Westshore was the illegal horns (and lack of members).

And Jeff you are right about awkward. Your hands are only a few inches apart and it was hard to snap the horn up and down with any control. Wonder if it as more like a tenor Bari as it seemed small.

Yes, I think Reading was another all thumbs corps in the sixties. Jeff seems to think it wasn't an illegal horn, and that could be, my recollections could be a bit hazy. One thing is they were really awkward as you played with your thumbs, but then you should have tried a valve slide bugle...made for really neat innotations(YEOW)..........

If I can figure out how to add a photo to a post, I've got some good ones of early bugles. Can I get a little guidance?

First, you'll need a place on the web to store the photos. Try Freeservers. They give you free space to upload files like photos. You can then use the links to the photos here on DCP.

Yes, I think Reading was another all thumbs corps in the sixties. Jeff seems to think it wasn't an illegal horn, and that could be, my recollections could be a bit hazy. One thing is they were really awkward as you played with your thumbs, but then you should have tried a valve slide bugle...made for really neat innotations(YEOW)..........

Think Donny Sollinger (Buccs historian) wrote on RAMD that the problem was having two valves, not the way they were placed. Will have to skulk RAMD for that one as he (or whoever it was) said they had to tied down or lock up (forget which) the second valve.

• 2 weeks later...