Those of you with bugles still...

Let's see my Olds Ultratone, valve rotary, was given to me by the director of a corps called the "Marauders from Oshkosh" which folded in the late seventies or early eighties.

I also have a Holton Colegiate single valve soprano that I actually found in some bushes a couple years ago. It's in pretty rough shape.

I own an Olds Ultratone G-F valve /rotor soprano. I purchased it from the alumni corps, S.T.A.R (Southern Tier Alumni Reunion drum corps), which I played in 1999-2000 (folded). It has great sentimental value to me since the horn was acquired from an obscure upstate NY drumcorps who had in turn obtained it from my original corps, the Geneva Appleknockers, after they folded in 1974. I was playing in the corps at the time (winter of 1969/70) when we purchased a matched set of Olds Ultratones (about 40 horns) to replace our G-D horns of various manufacture.

It is in great shape and is in the original case emblazoned with the Appleknocker name. Now I mostly play my Getzen Eterna I B flat trumpet, but I still pull the bugle out on occasion to relive my drum corps days when I feel inspired. I considered using it when I played with St. Joe's Alumni in 2003, but it did not seem to be a good match intonation-wise with their three valve Kanstuls and DEGs.

I plan on using it to play Taps this May in Echotaps (see www.echotaps.org). This is a planned world record setting serial Taps project.

Edited by Geneva

I couldn't believe the shape this wonderful two valved DEG Dynasty G Bugle mellophone that I bought off of EBAY, was in...actually my hubby bought it for me! Plus I felt like it was a steal for the price we paid. The case it came in was in excellent condition and the horn had only a small dent. Beautiful. First song I played? Why "Danny Boy" of course! :rolleyes: Some things you never forget! :huh:

I then bought my husband an Imperial Piston rotary Contra (made in Canada) from a friend who got it from a Drum Corps in Arizona that folded. "Copper Star Drum and Bugle Corps" from Gilbert Arizona! :huh:

The mellophone came from someone in Pennsylvania who marched senior corps but gave it up from the email I got...

Edited by Lancerlady

I bought my Dynasty G baritone from Carolina Crown back in 2002.

I'm considering purchasing a King G baritone but since I have nowhere to practice (live in apartment, no Silent Brass) and am not performing, the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Ya, but you raelly want one....don't ya??

I kept the contra I played. My corps bought new ones (well, 4 of Phantom's contra's) the following year. I don't even know what make it is I'll have to look.

It's a small horrible instrument. I keep thinking someday I'll put it on some kind of stand and put a plant in the bell. Something green and alive would probably be the best thing ever to come out of that horn. :P

King K-20 2 valve salvaged from several BD parts. It may or may not have been the horn I played on :) . It is my favorite but not the one I use.

Just sold a Kanstul Powerbore that was previously purchased from the Blue Coats. Now residing in Penn with Excelsior. Hope to see it again this summer.

Purchased brand new Kanstul Powerbore and got my first dent during a Corps Impact gig in Vegas a couple weeks ago :( Kind of like a new car when you get your first scratch.